Topic

Hiking in Sandals

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking in Sandals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    Spectator

@blw2

Those of you that hike in sandals, what is your preferred type/brand/model?

the through the toe designs like those from Bedrock & Luna (flip flop style except with a heel strap), or the over the toe strap type like xero, chaco, etc….?  Why?

I’d imagine the over the toe strap types offer some versatility in that you can more easily wear socks with them if needed….colder weather, etc…. but do they don’t secure the foot as well?

My go to shoe for casual wear around town at home or vacation is a flip flop when the weather is warm enough.  I’ve day hiked some tame state park trails with the family in them but of course I’ve found them occasionally less than ideal for that…foot is just not secured enough for up hills and down hills, etc…

I do wear socks and shoes to work, but otherwise I usually prefer to not, so I’m thinking about getting some sandals better suited for hiking… and backpacking.  I just am uncertain about which type I’d like to try and since most of these are mail order I can’t just go try some on….

I don’t like the closed toe Keens I have now…they are just too closed in and don’t dry well.  I found that the old Teva sandals I had years ago were the same in not drying well, and they also rubbed and chaffed as I recall.

My base weight now is somewhere around 13-15 pounds, so I don’t figure I need a heavier shoe for support, and I’m used to zero drop shoes, so which ones?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you might like Barefoot Jake and his site with sandal reviews and hikes that he does and  Toe Salad does a lot of sandal reviews for hiking but I am sure you will get many more answers.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

You might send Joe Valesko an email  ( [email protected]  ) concerning your questions as he has hiked in Teva Grecko Sandals (23oz) on all of his adventures.

http://www.zpacks.com/adventures.shtml

Brad W
    Spectator

@blw2

awesome, thanks…I’ve got some reading to do!

I sure have sent a lot of money in the direction of zpacks lately.  I’m not sure I would want to bug him uninvited like that though.  Still, I’ll check out that link, and maybe I will reach out…..

Grzegorz Przeorski
    BPL Member

@grzechu

Locale: Ontario
    Brian Horst
    BPL Member

@bh23

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I used to do a good bit of backpacking in a pair of Chaco Z/1s. I always felt they secured my foot pretty solidly. I went with over the toe straps for the reasons you indicated – able to add socks for cold/snow conditions, preventing heel cracking in dry conditions, and preventing skin from getting rubbed raw under the straps when hiking in sandy/gritty trail. Currently a few folks I backpack with occasionally use Bedrocks sans socks, especially in warmer weather. I do think Cairns would work out pretty well, and adding in a pair of split toed socks is always an option.

I now use sandals a lot less than I used to though. Being in the mid-Atlantic and somewhat concerned about ticks after having had to go through doxycycline cycles for lyme two different times leaves me wanting a bit more tick-proofing coverage.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

it will be helpful if on both the Barefoot Jake site and Toe Salad if you do a search for sandals.

Rodney Ackerman
    BPL Member

@uncleair

Locale: Great Lakes

All choices come at a price. I began using Tevas then to Chacos (like toe strap best; feels more secure) because of underfoot pain resulting in numbness on the top of my foot (one only). The extra cushion of the soles were the reason for the pain alleviation, according to a podiatrist.

Winter challenges (which were mitigated using oversocks and Neos), sand/grit, twig pokes, strap blisters/cuts, drying skin, etc., are challenges I have had with the sandals. However, using them has given me pain free feet! I am willing to pay the price for that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools