Topic

Helinox Ground Chair & Chair Zero alternatives? & which do you prefer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Helinox Ground Chair & Chair Zero alternatives? & which do you prefer?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

A friend and her partner would like to pick up lightweight chairs for trips where they’ll be hanging out more, picnics and for travel. Helinox chairs are quite pricey and I’m wondering if there are any good alternatives? Also curious – which do you prefer? My partner and I have had Ground Chairs for quite a few years, which put you in more of a reclining position, which is very comfortable if you rig a head support with your trekking poles attached to the chair frame with velcro, or if you have something to lean your head on. The Chair Zero appears to have you in a more upright position.

Victor Jorgensen
    BPL Member

@dblhmmck

Locale: Northern California

I have been very happy with my Trekology chair, the fixed height model.  It is slightly over 2 pounds, so fine for picnics and travel, less for actual backpacking.  It also sits taller tan the chairs that are closer to one pound.  It is well made from durable materials. You can also buy the fabric base sheet which prevents the feet from sinking in sandy soil, a good addition IMO.  It all stores into the included durable nylon case.

I have no affiliation with the folks who make this chair.  I’m just a happy customer, and believe that it is a great value.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have a Helinox Ground chair (22.3 ounces) and it’s really nice, but getting out of it is tough and usually involves me rolling out of it onto my knees to get up.

I also have an REI Co-op Flexlite Air Chair (17.1 ounces) that sits a little higher and I can get out of it without the ungainly rollover.  It’s $100 but is a good use for a REI dividend check…

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Sling Light is the bee’s knees for me. 22 oz with headrest or 18 oz without. I find it much more comfortable than the Chair Zero or Flexlite. I like that it does not require assembly for use as well – just fold out the back leg and sit. Obviously it won’t fit into a pack, but strapping it to the outside is a pretty simple task – I rigged up a little quick disconnect system so I can bust it out on pretty much any length of break. It does sit pretty low to the ground but the frame shape is such that you can (are recommended to, actually) use the frame to lift yourself into and out of the chair with the assistance of your arms.

If you can handle the crushing weight of the extra 6 oz, I think it’s totally worth it. I also think the Chair Zero Highback is a worthy competitor for comfort, but a couple oz’s heavier and $10 more expensive.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Been very happy with the Litesmith QwikBack UL Chair for several years and hundreds of hikes now.

Weight: 2.65 oz (75 g)

If you prefer straightening your legs out at the end of the day (instead of sitting up in a chair) and are able to handle the carbon stays with care, this is your chair. It weighs almost nothing and when there is nothing around to lean back on, this is very welcome.

It’s nice to lean back after a long hike (rather than just either hunch forward or lie down): https://www.litesmith.com/qwikback-ul-chair/.

Remove the rubber feet to save further weight (they wear out anyway), prop on something firm (lacking which, a pair of gloves), and sit directly on the ripstop nylon seat or place your sit pad underneath.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

My Chair Zero lasted about 2.5 years before it broke.  Our campsite had soft, loamy soil, which allowed the legs of the chair to sink into the dirt the same way sand would.  The legs spread out and broke one of the hubs.  If I had one of those ground sheets for the chair, it would have prevented this.

I suspect the Litesmith chair will have similar problems:  in sandy or soft, loamy soil, the legs will sink.  Maybe some sort of 1″ webbing strap connecting the two feet would prevent that from happening.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

As Jeff correctly notes, chair legs will sink in sand or soft soil, which will compromise the integrity of the chair as the weight will shift in awkward ways. To address this, I’ve used sit pads, empty packs, flat rocks, and gloves to prevent sinking.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

I’ve hit the age where a chair is more of a necessity than I’d like to admit, and the helinoxes are the best I’ve tried. The oft-mentioned tendency to sink into soft soil, the stand slipping sussurating sub-strata, spilling sedately-sitting subjects sideways, suddenly and sadly – as well as many other s-words – is frankly their only downside, but can be ameliorated with a sit pad (maybe even some red Solo cups).

They are relatively pricey, but they pop up used on craigslist or at yard sales pretty frequently around me, maybe check for used ones in your area?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

The Mountainsmith Slingback chair was intriguing, so I made a 3.7 oz version but haven’t tried it outdoors yet.  It seems reasonably okay on my sewing room floor.  It resembles the Litesmith QuikBack mentioned above, but uses hiking poles rather than carbon fiber.

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

D K: Would love to see pictures.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thank you for sharing these options – I’ll pass all of them onto them. I didn’t even know there was a Chair Zero Highback and Trekology Chair and didn’t know about breakage on the longer chair legs due to uneven sinking. I recall seeing somewhere a thread about drilling some kind of sports ball to place onto the legs of the Chair Zero to prevent sinking. Does anyone remember that? Also might a somewhat durable piece of fabric be enough to prevent too much uneven sinking that would cause breakage?

Kevin I take the knee penalty for the light weight. It’s not bad unless you’re absolutely wrecked.

Erik I think the Sling Light is a masterpiece of engineering and comfort but the downside is it doesn’t break down into a compact bundle.

Ratatosk where do you see Helinox on CL? I’ve never seen them sold used, though haven’t looked. They work great, but are really pricey, especially relative to the manufacturing cost.

dk you’ve got some nice DIY skills – you know there’s a future cottage gear company in you, right?

Ah I remember the simple zero-weight pleasure of falling asleep sitting up back-to-back with friends, legs flat on the ground in front of you. Works when you’re dead tired.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

Ethan –

I’m just south of Shenandoah Natl Park in Virginia, so the Roanoke and Harrisonburg CLs. I got one at an archery shoot for forty bucks, too.

I have always toyed with the idea of developing a backpack frame that doubled as a functional chair. I work with wood rather than 3d imaging or plastic, so I don’t think I could get it down to near a pound, but it’d be a fun project.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Helinox ground chair user here! I certainly do not always carry it, but if I plan on hiking short miles and spending time hanging around camp then yes it finds its way into my pack! I love that it does not ever sink into the ground either. Sure its low sitting, but i have no issues getting in and out of it. Heck, this last trip I went on I actually fell asleep twice lounging in the chair seen in the photo.. yup, 2 naps!!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have both the Chair 1 and Chair Zero and like them both for diff situations. With both you do have to either DIY a solution for sinking or get the foot cover that Helinox sells.

I want to mention my favorite “UL” chair, the Chammock.  Ditch any suspension it comes with,  assemble a proper UL hammock suspension and it is under 10 oz.  Wouldn’t work in Dirtbag’s site above, but as long as there are trees you are good.  Setup hint: set the height such that your feet on firmly on the ground so that it does not cut into the back of your knees.  Super comfy and very definitely nap inducing. Plus you can rock back and forth :)

One negative…you can’t pick it up and reposition easily.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

The REI Flexlite has done me well.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I recall seeing somewhere a thread about drilling some kind of sports ball to place onto the legs of the Chair Zero to prevent sinking. Does anyone remember that?

I think it is in this thread: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/helinox-chair-zero/

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Another link on the subject:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/best-options-for-ul-camp-chairs/#comments

Note:   The Litesmithchair is a copy of the original Kifaru field chair.  It’s an extremely easy MYOG project–mine is hand sewn, larger than the Kifaru version and weighs in  at about 4oz…including mini trekking pole baskets on the legs (necessary for chair use in soft soils).

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Helinox first.  Water filter second.  Then load up with whatever else I feel like bringing.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I have both the Helinox Chair Zero and the Litesmith QwikBack  chair. I like and use both.

The QwikBack I use for solo, or more UL trips. The Chair Zero I carry when doing more relaxed trips with my wife. She freaking LOVES the Chair Zero. I really do think for its weight for some trips it’s a great option.

Both have their place, but the Chair Zero is more like riding in a Rolls Royce, while the QwikBack is more of a Trabant. Both get you there, but not in the same comfort or style :)

Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Just got back from three days in Dana Biosphere Reserve. Didn’t have gloves for the stays sinking in the sand with my Litesmith Qwikback so just rested the stays inside my trail runners.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools