Topic

Handling the Heat: How to Use Your Palms to Stay Cool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Handling the Heat: How to Use Your Palms to Stay Cool

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Companion forum thread to: Handling the Heat: How to Use Your Palms to Stay Cool

Learn how to manage thermoregulation while hiking through effective utilization of your palms.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the scientific backup to something I’ve been doing for more than 40 years…I learned, while working outside all day during the summer at a camp, that the fastest way for me to cool down (other than the pool plunge option) was to run cold water down my forearms.  Doing that, perhaps accidentally, meant the water ran over my palms too, producing the cooling effect you describe.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I usually wear a lightweight hat to keep the sun off of my face.  I found that when hiking in shady areas, jusy removing my hat does a lot to cool me down.   My 2 cents.

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Kevin, the ventral portion of your forearm is also glabrous skin! If you’d published your results, maybe you’d be the one selling a $1500 device to cool people off :)

Jon, I’ve found similar results by trying to let my forehead breath whenever possible. A hat dunking in a cool stream works great too.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have heard of Palmala Handerson.

Victor Hoyt
    BPL Member

@vhoyt

Locale: Hudson Highlands

Heller is a colleague of Andrew Huberman. I heard him on the Huberman Lab podcast. At the time, I was doing a lot of sauna. I found that running my hands under cool water was vastly superior for cooling off, than a cold shower.

I can’t say I’ve been able to use this technique to improve my hiking performance. I’ve always been the “start cold” guy :-). However, since I have bouts of Reynaud’s, I wonder if a small gentle palm warmer might help in cold weather. Those commercial hand warmer things are too aggressive. Would I pay$1400? Um, no.

Great article! Thank you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!