Topic

Grand Canyon Escalante in March

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Grand Canyon Escalante in March

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

A buddy and I got our permit for the Escalante Route in GC for mid-March.  We’re experienced hikers, but mostly in the southeast.  We’ve done weeks in Glacier and Yosemite in recent years, but are inexperienced in desert hiking.  I’ve been reading blogs/posts and have gathered a good bit of info, but thought I’d throw out a few questions.

I’ve read the trails near the rim may be icy, and some sort of traction devices are recommended.  I’ve got microspikes, but they are heavy and pointy, and I’d rather have something lighter and easier to pack when not needed.  Any suggestions?

Our first two nights are at Tanner Beach, and we plan to day hike up the Colorado on day 2.  Is it ok to leave our tent up?  Or is the risk of critters chewing on too great.  We’ll take our food with us, of course.

I’ve read so much about water issues, especially from the Colorado.  We plan on taking a folding bucket and Floccing stuff, along with an MSR Guardian filter I picked up.  Any other suggestions?

I’ve got a regular Ursack, but have read they don’t do well with the mice/ravens, etc. in the GC.  I’m thinking of picking up one of the stainless mesh sacks available.  What size would you recommend for a 5 night trip?  I’ll be taking freeze-dried dinners. Any other food storage suggestions?

Long pants and shirt vs. shorts and a t-shirt?  Other clothing suggestions?

I’ve got a couple of quilts, a 20 degree and a 30, (which is more 35 or 40).  Of course I’d like to take the smaller, lighter one if I could get away with it.  Which would you take?

Some of the articles I’ve read suggested taking 30 feet of cord or rope to lower and raise packs.  Is this worth taking?

Any other suggestions for a couple of Grand Canyon newbies?

Thanks!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

The Escalante Route is awesome, you will have an incredible time.  To your questions…

Traction devices…Any suggestions?  Ans:  I’ve use both Kathoola Microspikes and Camp Instep Crampons.  The microspikes are more versatile since they penetrate less than 1/2″ whereas the insteps penetrate >1″ and seldom is there that much snow/ice.  The sell chinzy aluminum insteps with shorter points but they will flatten out and become worthless over time.  Check with the backcountry office on trail conditions for the Tanner and New Hance or Grandview (depending on your exit route).  Most of the time in March the trails will be clear, but check last minute just to be sure.  (or bring them along and leave them in the car if the trails are clear)

Is it okay to leave our tent up?  Ans:  Yes.  As long as nothing with odors is inside the tent will be fine.  This includes something as simple as lip baum or a GU gel. I carry my bear cannister in the canyon to keep critters out of my food, but ursacks and wire mesh ratsack will work just as well.  Ravens and mice cannot penetrate the ursack, but it you don’t close it well mice can creep through the cinched closure.  Bear cans are bullet proof, but on my 10 day Tonto Trail thru-hike I had my bear cannister and ursack.

Water…Any suggestions?  In March you will usually be dealing with the Little Colorado dumping copious amounts of silt into the Colorado River just above the Escalante Route section.  TAKE A FIELD MAINTAINABLE AND BACKWASHABLE FILTER!!!!  Flocculants such as Alum require too much settling time.  Get a water report before you go.  Many of the side canyons may have water.  It is worth hiking a bit up or down the side canyons to get it.  For your layover at Tanner though you will likely pump.  I’ve had best results with my MSR mini works with a sweetwater siltstopper prefilter on the inlet hose.  The siltstopper can be rinse free of the sand it will collect and should that fail you can always scrub the miniworks ceramic cartridge.  If you do go with a miniworks get and carry the maintenance kit.

<span style=”font-size: 15px;”><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Long pants and shirt vs. shorts and a t-shirt?  Other clothing suggestions?  </span><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Check the weather forecast before you leave.  In March it can snow and you can have temps in the upper 90’s.  Dress for the weather.  For me, if daytime temps are above 60F I wear shorts.  And if below 70F I will wear long sleeve smartwool t-shirt, otherwise it is short sleeves.  </span></span>

<span style=”font-size: 15px;”><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>I’ve got a couple of quilts, a 20 degree and a 30, (which is more 35 or 40).  Of course I’d like to take the smaller, lighter one if I could get away with it.  Which would you take?  </span><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Again, check the weather just before you go and carry accordingly.  </span></span>

<span style=”font-size: 15px;”><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Some of the articles I’ve read suggested taking 30 feet of cord or rope to lower and raise packs.  Is this worth taking?  </span><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>I’ve never needed it, but since this is your first time the couple ounces for the parachute cord is cheap and light weight insurance.  There are two sections where you might want it.  One, if you drop down the cliffs into Seventy Five Mile creek and Two, when you climb out of Papago Creek.  It all boils down to personal comfort levels.  For your first trip, why risk it?</span></span>

<span style=”font-size: 15px;”><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Any other suggestions for a couple of Grand Canyon newbies?  </span><span style=”text-align: left; color: #000000; text-transform: none; line-height: 26.1px; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; display: inline !important; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; float: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: transparent;”>Take it slow on your descent on the Tanner Trail.  On my first hike in the canyon I descended too fast and was horrifically sore the next day.  Keep in mind you will be descending nearly 5000 feet.  On the entire east coast there is not a single 5000 foot ascent or descent so this will be an entirely new experience.  Quite simply, take it easy and force yourself to a slow pace on day one keeping your stride length between 18 and 24″.  Though you will likely have to think about each step and force yourself to do it, you will be thankful you did.</span></span>

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

(off-topic): what causes these html tags to appear in posts? like @stevet’s snippets on the post right before this one where you see <span> tags and the like?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

WAG: Cut-and-paste out of an web editor versus direct entry . (FWIW, I don’t have that problem with MS Word)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools