Topic

Glacier NP starting Sept 5 – North Circle Loop questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier NP starting Sept 5 – North Circle Loop questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CFDTuc
    BPL Member

@ncfftuc

I’m hoping for some help with a few questions concerning an upcoming backcountry trip in Glacier NP.

I’m traveling as part of a 4 person, “retired” scoutmaster group that’s trying to hit different parks each summer.  Through sheer, dumb luck, we hit a great draw on the lottery for this year and were rewarded with our first choice of the North Circle Loop, going counter-clockwise from Many Glacier over 5 days/4 nights.  I’ve day hiked Glacier numerous times, but none in our group have ever been off the really well beaten, main, day trails.  We think we’ve got most bases covered, but have a couple questions we’re hoping the collective minds here can help answer.

1 – We know we’ll have several water crossings.  Anything for which we should plan to bring separate footwear or can the normal “take off socks, remove shoe liners” and then 30 minutes of hiking afterward drives out the remaining moisture through pumping action and foot heat?

2 – Opposite extreme; how are the water supplies doing near Fifty Mountain campsite?  I’ve read that in dry years it can be a hike to water sources, though in normal years water is close.  How is this year shaping up?

3 – Snowfields; how is the Ahern Drift at this point?  Should we bother packing a set of ice cleats like Diamond Trekkers/YakTrax or is it beaten enough to not be an issue?

4 – We’re flying in so we have to leave our bear spray back home (central Indiana) and purchase/rent in Kalispell.  Suggestions on location to do so?  If we purchase, is there a scout troop or hiking organization we can donate them to before we fly out?  (We can always leave with park ranger if that’s the best bet.)

5 – Finally, footwear.  Normally most in the group use lightweight, mid-height boots of various makes.  Boots really necessary or a good set of trail shoes suffice?

Any other suggestions or advice is always appreciated!

I’ve been following this site for a couple years and have really appreciated the care, concern, and advice of it’s members!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

1: my wife and I, wearing joggers with thick wool socks, just keep walking. Works for day trips and for 2-month long expeditions. Also done in the snow, but without the socks.

5: neither my wife not I have worn anything other than light joggers for the last 20+ years – day walks and 2-month expeditions.

If you are not used to being off-trail, use map and compass with regular checks. That is all we use.

Cheers

CFDTuc
    BPL Member

@ncfftuc

Roger,

Thanks for your highly regarded advice!  I wear trail joggers almost exclusively, with the exception of spring trails in Indiana.  We work hard with our scouts to teach leave no trace, which means they stay on the beaten trail regardless of how deep the mud is or how likely it is to suck off your footwear (only reason for boots).  I’m just trying to convince the others in the group to give it a shot – they’ll appreciate it at the end of the day.

By the way, as a retired materials engineer who worked for quite a while on aerospace ceramics, I love the work you’re doing with your stoves.  The care, thought, and precision has been great to follow!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Mud – yeah, sticky stuff. Shorty gaiters seem to help a little.

Stoves – thank you.
    Ceramics – I did look at Macor, but very $$.

Cheers

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Sorry I can’t address your specific questions, but there is an REI in Kalispell where you should be able to get bear spray and other last-minute items.  You might call in advance, though, to make sure that is in stock, or order it directly to the store for pickup at a later date.  Inventories have been squirrely this year, with unpredictable shortages of various items.  Have a great trip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools