Topic

Getting/ staying in shape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Getting/ staying in shape

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

So I’m always curious how people stay/ get in shape for backpacking.  So I was thinking we could support motivate each other.  I’m also on strava which could be useful as well.

Yesterday I did a 5mile run all in zone 2 aerobic base building.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

For aerobics I walk, hike, bicycle (much easier on spine and joints than running), and for strength I do body weight exercises (almost no injuries compared to other types of resistance exercise). My bible for body weight exercises is Mark Lauren’s “You Are Your Own Gym.” Also, the “Matt Damon 5-Move Workout” is a favorite.

When I’m specifically training to do a backpacking trip I start hiking with a 5 lb. pack and add 5 lb. every week or two until I hit 50-60 lbs. Distance starts around 3 miles and works up to 10 miles per day. I also add flights of stairs with the pack on, working up to about 40 stories per day.

As part of all types of exercise I throw in some HIIT work.

To stay motivated I keep a training log to see how I’m doing, try to engage groups doing hikes and bike rides so there is a social aspect and accountability, converse/dialog with those I’m planning a trip with so we keep each other accountable, and do sub-24’s on the weekends. I’ve used heart rate monitors on and off for 40 years, but don’t use them anymore. I go by perceived level of effort combined with breathing rate, and try to push to a rate that would make conversation difficult.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I go to gym 6 days a week, some days I work out twice a day. I walk 2 miles every day to work, then run the 2 miles in afternoon from work to train. I also keep my nutrition dialed in and my macros are all tracked.  I have been doing this on point for the last 6 years now and it is a slow process but it works! There is no quick fix diet or workout or exercise… Make it a lifestyle and something you can stick with..  Then, when you do go hiking… There is no preparing because you will already be in proper shape.  Though I will say.. It does not mean you will be able to bang long miles and climb tall mountains easily.. But you will have an advantage and it will be easier and you will be able to achieve it!

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I should say I’ve been following the up hill athlete methodology for almost a year and can say I enjoy it and life changing.  I went from very out of shape to pretty good cardio and continually improving!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Stay with it. Consistency.  Remember.. ” The man on top of the mountain did NOT fall there”

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Diet is King, exercise is Queen.

If you’re working out everyday, you’re not letting your body recover. Recovery time is as (or more) important than exercise.

I eat a low inflammation, plant based, whole food diet (zero dairy, meat, and oils).

My workout is intense, but brief twice a week. Push ups, pull ups, and stair stepper all done with an interval training approach.

Exercise can’t overcome a [poor] diet.

[This post has been edited. Please avoid profanity as per forum guideline #7 – MK]

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Not necessarily true if your doing cardio.  If you’re doing zone 1 or 2 and under your AeT you can go day after day.  You know you’re doing too much when you can’t do the same workout every day.

I can’t do plant only,  they don’t fill me up

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I can’t do plant only,  they don’t fill me up

Then you’re doing it all wrong.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Please explain because beans and greens might fill me up for a short period but I get hungry pretty fast after eating. And I just love meat!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Going to the gym six days a week is not necessarily too often, depending on what you do when you’re there. Bodybuilders, strength trainers and powerlifters alternate days of upper body and lower body work so there is a day off in between for any particular muscle group. Three days of upper and three days of lower, with some HIIT aerobic and core work each day, and on the seventh day complete rest and recovery.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Another version involves both upper and lower body work, but opposing muscle groups for balance. Like biceps one day and triceps the other, shoulders then lats, thighs and glutes then hams and calves, etc.

it has been shown many times that resistance training is also great for the heart, weight loss and bone density. And one of the best ways to avoid injuries.

And longevity. As a 95 y.o. weightlifter has said “you don’t get weak because you get old, you get old because you get weak.” Use it or lose it.

Which applies to brain “plasticity” (size, number of neurons, and number of neuron interconnections) and health as well.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

My dad hiked strong until 85, and never used the gym. He wondered why people paid to do hard work, when there was plenty to do anyway. Walk or bike to work. Get a push mower (no motor). Use hand tools instead of powered ones. Split wood. Clean the house. Plant a garden. And stretch every day; your cat or dog stretches every single time they get up from a lying down position. Volunteer to help others with physical labor – shoveling snow, mowing the lawn. It works!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

josh j, keep up the good work.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Please explain because beans and greens might fill me up for a short period but I get hungry pretty fast after eating. And I just love meat!

I eat meat a few times a week but I am able to be quite satiated by a plant based diet (particularly with some cheese here and there). The meat that I do eat is usually very flavorful and used as an accent (often bacon or smoked sausage) as well as some poultry from time to time.

I am quite satiated with combinations of braised/sautéed/roasted vegetables (usually seasoned with cayenne and good smoked paprika, occasionally with turmeric/cumin) served with whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat and farro. Peanut/almond butter are star players at breakfast or lunch. I love rich, seeded/sprouted whole grain breads with minimal added sugar.

I find it very easy to have filling, satisfying meals without meat.

YMMV

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I read through uphill athlete, good book, but a little complicated and requires a good heart monitor.

But beyond that there are several very good takeaways- most of your aerobic training should be in “easy” zone; sprinkle in some training that is in “the not easy zone”; take the time to adequately recover; consistency (this is how a good base is developed) is king; strength training can pay dividends- stick with compound (multi-joint) exercises and eat “good” food.

I’ve subscribed to this methodology (minus the more complicated heart rate stuff) for the last ten years and it works.  I hike & backpack year round (snowshoeing/skiing in the winter), I chase elk/deer in the mountains for two months every fall (sometimes less if I’m successful!) and dabble with adventure racing at the end of each May.  I set somewhat lofty goals each year and do my best to meet them.  I rack up ~ 2000 miles and ~ 300 to 400,00′ of gain on the trails each year and knock on wood, have been injury free these past ten years.

Consistency is king.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I would agree the book is a bit complicated. For someone who has been bad at training the monitor has been a great tool for me to monitor pace and improvements.

I’m learning consistency is king and the slow process of improvement has been very enjoyable and the endurance aspect is getting more appealing with the higher cardio base.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I’m with Karen, but let me add two from my father:
    Use a smaller plate at meals and do not overfill or refill it.
    Sit down only when eating, driving and taking your shoes off or on, and also in polite company.
    Steofan M.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

A couple of thoughts from a distance coach:

1. Don’t rely on motivation to keep a training cycle going. Make exercise a habit. Habit creates consistency which leads to increased fitness.

2. Utilize active recovery routines rather than doing nothing. These can be easy running, cross training etc. recovery runs tend to be best at about 75% of your lactate threshold pace. The big thing is to keep it easy and be able to carry on a conversation. This can be applied to hiking or walking as well.

3. You can train every day provided you utilize good recovery training and keep about 80% of your endurance training below your lactate threshold. Pretty easy to do for walkers, harder for runners!

4. People are right to emphasize a healthy diet. But another big factor that endurance athletes know quite well is that adequate sleep is essential for effective training and recovery. Too many of us don’t get enough!

5. Strength and flexibility training? Absolutely, but lastly, be grateful for the ability to move however you choose to do it.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

What Mike said.   There is no substitute for consistency, a good diet, and as many trail miles and feet of elevation gain as you can fit into your life.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I’ve been doing all my running/ training at or below my aerobic threshold building up my base and once I get within 10% of my lactic or anaerobic threshold I plan on adding some harder zone 3 workouts but still doing 90% below my aerobic threshold.

As I’ve heard being strong is nice but having a strong aerobic base is king

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools