Topic

[rain and sleeping] Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion [rain and sleeping] Gear

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Larry M
    BPL Member

@771234577

A couple of questions. Any recommendations for light weight rain gear? I am preparing for an AT thru hike. The coat and pants I have weigh 21 oz combined. Anything lighter? Also. All the gear reviews about sleeping gear are oriented toward cold weather. “It’s so light you have to tether it to your pack because it will float away if you don’t and it will get you to absolute zero
    (-459° F) Got it. I’m covered for cold weather. Any suggestions for the other 3 seasons? This would include summer when it’s warm. Thanks

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Here is what I have used on the AT that has worked well:
    Montbell convertible rain pants, usually as shorts over 9″ briefs. Kept me dry and breathed well so I didn’t really get very sweaty. I even wore them when it was cold and not raining on occasion. I sweated out under a dcf rain kilt.

Helium II HD rain jacket. Worked ok, big difference it had pit zips that the regular helium did not. I don’t think they sell it any more. Make sure to get something you can vent easily.

EE Revalation 10° to start with xtherm pad. Switched to EE Enigma 20° with xlite pad later. I sleep cold but using puffy and warm baselayer/midlayer the 20° would have been ok.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

This is a good link for comparing rain gear. Nice chart in middle of page with all the leading contenders:

https://besthiking.net/best-hiking-rain-jackets/#product1

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think for warm weather rain an umbrella is a good option.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

I took an umbrella on the AT as far as southern Virginia. Used it twice. It seemed like every time I could have used it there was too much greenery getting in the way. Only once was it great for the whole day. I kept wanting it to work, but finally ditched it.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I didn’t know it was so brushy on the AT. Every picture I’ve seen it always looks so open under the trees.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

For rain gear to be honest on the AT in warm weather I like a Dri Ducks jacket and rain skirt.  The dri ducks jacket is light and feels decent against the skin while wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Robert F
    BPL Member

@rmfinn3

I second this. I used 3f ul rain skirt and frogg toggs for an LT thru hike last october. Was great. Light, cheap and effective. Didn’t use an umbrella, but if I wasn’t using poles all the time I would be tempted to try. Used a 20 degree rated top quilt and was good. If I were to do it again I would want to try a synthetic quilt rated to 35-35 degrees. Sleeping stuff is very personal though and depends on what other insulated clothing you carry.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Open areas are the pretty pictures! Inevitably you cross a hill, ridge, etc, and dive into a narrow corridor or run into low lying branches.  I used it more in camp than on the trail.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Outdoor Research has some very light WPB rain gear at almost 1/2 the price of, say, Patagucci or RAO, Arcteryx, etc.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It rains on AT……a lot..

Week or more straight sometimes

Heavy too….for hours or all day

And cold in spring

What works for short trips, not so much when living in it.

Everything you have will be wet. Either from rain, or humidity , or condensation

No exceptions.

This is a defeating mental challenge to overcome. You need to get in the mindset of not being bothered by it…..now.  Another cold rainy day…..what will it take YOU…to get dressed and start walking?

Ponchos, packas,  pack covers, umbrellas, all do certain things for different people.  Weight…..doesnt even come into equation at 7am in pouring cold rsin.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Great advice from MB. What will get you through?

You could also consider something that feels OK next to skin and keeps you warm when wet, like for ex. under armour cold gear. Has a nice brushed next to skin inner face and a slick harder outer face. Designed to transfer moisture or at least not hold a lot of it; and to be reasonably comfortable next to skin.

Embrace the wet. Wear something like a wetsuit, and maybe with light syn gym shorts so you’ve got pockets and don’t look like Nureyev coming down the trail.

Personally I really like to start and end the day with dry/warm feet though I don’t mind em wet so much when I’m moving. I’d wear dry socks in a breadbag in camp morning and evening and keep a dedicated dry pair for sleep. Heck we all spent the first nine months in a heated pool. Nothing wrong with being wet….it’s just the cold part that sucks and worse.

Some of my very finest days hiking have been in all day or days of rain. Autumn leaves in the Smokies are especially vibrant in the soft light of a socked-in rainy day. Smells are livelier. There’s a kind of closing-in of the world that feels more intimate.

To copy from MB: “You need to get in the mindset of not being bothered by it”

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Note to mods: I edited that post and the edit didn’t “stick” when I  “submitted”and then/also I lost the option of further editing. Guess I’d better really focus on getting it right the first time huh?

What I edited to say was:

I think Brad got it just right for warmer wet weather. Frogg Toggs cost @ $16.95 for the entire suit and as a solid medium + size and 5’9″ I can wear a small which comes in just -/+ 5 oz. Frogg Toggs seem to run almost ridiculously large in their sizing. They do not leak and if you spring one they can be easily patched with dcf tape. I got the rain kilt linked below on a recommendation here on BPL by Richard Nisley and it is a really sturdy, light and inexpensive item that can also be used as a mini tarp for whatever use that might inspire. Ultra Light Rain Kilt

Cold and wet is another problem as detailed in the previous post.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

The kilt weighs 2.3 oz. another edit that didn’t stick….. oh boy

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Here’s the link to the thread re;: the kilt

UL Rain Kilt Thread

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I still like rain pants when absolutely necessary, as in cold, continuous rain. I use REI eVent parka and pants that are now out of production.

When properly cleaned and re-coated with a good DWR (i.e. Grangers or Revivex) this eVent suit is very breathable and works but at 1 pound per item is not quite UL.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I do alot of backpacking in the Southeast mountains of TN and NC and our dominant winter weather feature is not snow or blizzards but as MB says days of butt cold rains at 35F or 30F.  It’s impossible to not be bothered by it—so a good rain jacket is mandatory—and rain pants if you need to keep your legs warm.

The whole purpose of a rain jacket is not to keep you dry but to keep you warm.  There’s Cold Wet (hypothermia and death) and then there’s Warm Wet.  A shell allows a backpacker to move under load in a cold rain and keep his/her core warm (though wet).  It makes all the difference.

Then the problem becomes ice cold hands and numb hands and wooden blocks for hands.  MLD shell mitts over fleece liner gloves do not work long term in a cold rain.  No gloves are waterproof.  Hands will get very cold.  Other than that it’s a walk in the park.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

The whole purpose of a rain jacket is not to keep you dry but to keep you warm.  There’s Cold Wet (hypothermia and death) and then there’s Warm Wet.  A shell allows a backpacker to move under load in a cold rain and keep his/her core warm (though wet).  It makes all the difference.

Word

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools