Topic

First time Bob Marshall loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning First time Bob Marshall loop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Engles
    Spectator

@scottbham

Looking for tips, advice, reports on a solo loop in the Bob Marshall. My first time in the area. I’ve solo’d extensively in the North Cascades, up to 12 days and 150 miles w/o resupply.

Current plan is go in through S Fork Sun river TH/ Benchmark, North along Sun River, at Jct go east on CDT, south along Chinese wall and back out same start point, ~70 miles in 5-6 days.

I’m using the Nat Geo map, which I’m apprehensive about. Past experiences with Nat Geo maps are spotty: trails not maintained/non-existent (Olympics).

Anybody with current eperiences on these trails? I have bear spray, know how to use it, know how to hang PCT correct, and always cook and sleep away from food.

Also: I see there are fires near Sealy lake and one near Monahan mtn. Smoke in the area along the CDT in this area?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I took your route last year but this year went in at Holland lake and exited via the SF Flathead at the Gorge. The NG topo maps are generally accurate for the Bob and all the major trails have signage. You shouldn’t have any impact from the current fires.

I just left the Bob after a 10 day packrafting trip. The Rice Ridge fire to the South,near Seely Lakes, resulted in smoky skys only if the wind was from the south or West. The smoke is only a minor annoance.

This was my first Bob trip since 2004 without seeing at least one bear but, they have never been an issue with food stored in an OP bag / Ursack 100 yds from camp.. The creek and river levels are currently very low.

Scott Engles
    Spectator

@scottbham

Good to hear about the NG map. Thanks for the info!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools