Topic

Escape from COVID-19 at Corona Ridge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Escape from COVID-19 at Corona Ridge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Longtime Backpacking Light author Emylene VenderVeldon takes on a suspiciously-named untraversed route, one of the most difficult she’s ever attempted.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Wonderful story, thanks!

Sometimes Type 2 fun is the best of all, especially sandwiched between real fun on the river. And escaping our current, multi-level, world-wide Type 3 fun.

Reminder to self: bring the caffeine, bring the caffeine, bring the caffeine.

— Rex

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Emy,

I’m glad you volunteered for this assignment, and that I didn’t assign it to you 😂

But on a serious note:

I’m so proud of you right now I can barely contain myself!

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

Thank you for sharing your adventure Emy.

This was a very complicated off trail multisport adventure.  Its great you have a hiking partner that is up for this.   You both rock!!

All the best

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Great trip report! Really enjoyed your story. I use neoprene socks for those stream crossings and keep my boots on! I guess with heavy mountain boots you don’t want them wet though. The color of your feet is indeed … interesting!

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

The wilderness as a safe or anchoring place. Love this theme.

Yun Wang
    BPL Member

@yunwang0826yahoo-com-2

Dear Emy, thank you so much for sharing your “never been so alive” adventure, landscape, feelings, progress data, and detailed gears list down to grams, etc.! Reading it for the second time now. Best wishes to you for the end of 2020 and whole 2021!

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

@Rex that is now question number one on my trips. I think the lack of coffee was the worst part 😂.

@Ryan
    😂 I might have quit working here if it had been an assignment 😂 kidding… barely.

@granolagirlak
    if it’s not deeper than ankle deep and I’m not traversing on a slope I usually keep my boots or shoes on. It’s a bit of a toss up if keeping shoes or boots on is safer though. A shoe or boot can keep your foot from getting sliced on sharp rocks. In this case the footing on the bottom was slick and smooth. Wearing a sole was pretty treacherous because I couldn’t feel my way across parts with good traction. Albeit half way across I also couldn’t feel my feet so…. toss up.

In this case, no matter what footwear I had on, it needed to be dry for walking on the scree slopes at an angle right after the creek crossings. Wet screw traverses are my personal worst enemy in any footwear. Even in proper, dry, mountaineering boots my feet were all kinds of blistered and beat up. My boots were heavily scared and shoes would have been completely shredded. I had bought a pair of shoes at the beginning of the 2020 season and I was so glad I left them home on this trip because at least I still have a pair of shoes and a pair of boots.

A big thanks to everyone else who is enjoying the entertainment value of my somewhat botched attempt at a working ‘holiday’

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Ah, the lure of a distant ridge or hidden canyon. I totally identify. Thanks for taking us with you on a trip to Booger Country.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

This was just great!! Some whitewater action mixed with backpacking and camping while exploring the unknown!! You are my hero and I am envious of your adventure!! Thanks for posting this!! I would recommend trying Peak Fuels breakfast skillet..not much else I can say, you had it all covered!!!

Anne Flueckiger
    BPL Member

@annefluke

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Canoe-accessed backpacking, very nice! Thanks for the trip report.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Great trip report.  Loved it.

I will applaud you for becoming a socially adapted introvert.  I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and became an obnoxiously adapted introvert, a mistake that hasn’t served me or people within earshot all that well.

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

😂 I am certain there are people who would say I resemble that description as well! Mind over matter, the people that matter don’t mind, the ones that mind don’t matter 😂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!