Topic

E-Mountain Bike camping (GASP!)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring E-Mountain Bike camping (GASP!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So at 80 I’ve decided that hunting on an E-MTB was necessary to cover the vast  reaches of Nevada in an assigned “game management area” if I’m lucky enough to get a tag.

My choice after much research was an E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown (yeah, too many superlatives). My buddy had one and I was impressed with the build quality and quality of components. Plus the nearest competitor was by comparison, severely “decontented” and $2,000. more.

My E-Cells model has 2 wheel drive, 2 batteries, dual suspension and many other features plus a 400 pound load limit so I could easily use it to cary out boned out big game meat in the panniers and front rack.

In an unsuccessful antelope hunt this year theE-CELLS world great. “But how,” you may ask, “do you charge the batteries on the bike?” So glad you asked.

1.) BLUETTI AC200 MAX lithium iron phosphate energy cell for both DC and AC power. to charge the bike batteries with the bike’s AC charger.

2.) Off Grid TREK 220 watt solar blanket (cable locked to my roof racks) to charge the BLUETTI. Worked like a charm and ran a small cooler all day as well.

So yes, it’s a spendy outfit but I’m spending my daughters’ inheritance. Not my fault they are both attorneys and self sufficient.

Yeah, I know, I know, this is a self propelled site but hey, I’m a geezer and deserve a break. I do still pedal to conserve battery power but with assist level 1 thru 4. This bike has 9 assist levels, not the usual 5.

Let the recriminations begin.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I’ve never seen one, but my friend from way back makes these. Probably less distance per charge than a bike though.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

I think it’s awesome, Eric. Sounds like a very nice rig. If it gets you out into nature more, then that’s the main thing.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well Bill, I still backpack, just a bit slower now when over 6,000 feet.

My gear is fairly UL-> TT Notch Li solo tent, WM Megalite down bag, Sea to Summit 3 season insulated mattress, Osprey EXOS pack, Brunton CRUX folding canister top stove or Trail Designs ti Caldera Cone for ESBIT (summer) or wood (winter).

And for winter an REI Flash All Season insulated mattress and LL Bean -20 down bag and Deuter  Air Contact Lite 65 + 10 pack. But I ski in only 1/4 mile at 9,500 feet and call it “camp”.  Winter tent is a TT Moment DW solo tent. Camp parka is a -20 down unit from Eddie Bauer, back when they made a few decent backpacking items. I love the smell of sage sausage and pancakes on a crisp winter morning!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks like a sweet ride.  Looking at the online photos, does the front wheel have a larger diameter than the rear wheel?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools