Topic

E.E Quilt Down Smell?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) E.E Quilt Down Smell?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Caulin L
    Spectator

@thenightsquatch

Hey guys, first Post. I have a question. Have any of you ever had to deal with smelly down? I recently purchased an Enlightened Equipment quilt, which didn’t smell at first, but upon my first use became very smelly during the night. Is this normal? Do you guys have any recommendation for the best way to handle it?

I think the obvious thing to do is to wash it. Kinda sucks having to wash a brand new bag, but before I do, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you think that’ll even stop the smell, or if it’ll just come back?

I’ve never experienced smelly down in any of my jackets or sleeping bags, so this is new for me. Thanks in advance!

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Just took delivery of 2 new EE quilts today .. the were stuffed in the box about 5 days and no smells at all.

There are reports in other forums on here about down smells. I think most folks would say leave the quilt out to air out and dry very thoroughly both now and after each use obviously.

Washing is fine, but your new quilts shouldn’t need washing yet.

Caulin L
    Spectator

@thenightsquatch

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I didn’t notice any smells at first either. It was only after my first time using it. It was in humid conditions, as it was raining, but the bag never got wet.

I hope I didn’t get a bad batch of down. I’m hoping a good wash will fix it…

Honestly, if the smell doesn’t go away, I don’t think I’ll be able to use it. It’s like sleeping with a wet dog; Or a wet dog that just murdered a goose.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

As mentioned, this was discussed in another thread and has been experienced by others.  Some thought it was a duck down vs goose down phenomena but nothing concrete was determined and it appeared to either be hit and miss based on the smell or another’s tolerance/intolerance for the smell.

i would air the bag out well or tumble it on no heat in your dryer to help in the airing process.  You could also try storing it with a couple of dryer sheets placed inside the quilt to help.

Caulin L
    Spectator

@thenightsquatch

Thanks for the reply John. I’ll try and find that thread. Do you remember if they ever found a solution? Or should I expect this smell to be a characteristic of this quilt?

Appreciate the help.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

My EE quilt had the poultry smell initially, but I no longer can detect any odor, so I think if you just air it out well, it will dissipate on its own eventually.  I’m not sure how long it was before I noticed the absence of the smell, but I’d guess weeks to a few months.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Caulin … I would bet that we underestimate the “water exposure” to bags when humid even if the bag isn’t grossly soiled.

In the SE US where humidity is king, Things seem damp very quickly sometimes.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Here is one of the longer threads on this:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/92028/

I’ve purchased two E.E. quilts.  The first one didn’t smell, the second one did.  As reported above, after it aired out (weeks to months) I’ve never noticed anything.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Humidity is the issue here.

We get more reports of odor in the summer where it is humid here in MN and almost none in the winter when it is dry.  We have done testing in controlled rooms and changing the humidity impacts the odor but as mentioned airing it out well after use and storing it bone dry will go a long way toward reducing any odors you may experience.  Humidity will also impact the weight upto an oz or so depending on size and temp of the quilt.  Humidity is impossible for us to fully control but we do stuff quilts in a humidity controlled room as we do everything we can to make the best possible products.

-Tim

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Be aware that different rooms in your house can differ a lot in their humidity.  Obviously the bathroom you take showers in is higher in humidity as is the kitchen when you’re cooking food.  But house plants also increase humidity while the added heat of a chest freezer running in a small room decreases it.  And it differs seasonally (for me, a lot).  So it’s worth running around with hygrometer, even a cheap little relative humidity gauge, to learn where the driest room in the house is.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I had the same problem with an EE quilt and no amount of airing out or putting in the dryer ever removed the smell.  As others have said, it was worse when humid.  I finally got some Grainger Down Wash and washed my quilt.  Yes, it was a PITA but it did the trick.  It completely removed the smell and the smell has never returned.

Caulin L
    Spectator

@thenightsquatch

Thanks for all the comments and replys! And thank you, Tim, for taking the time to explain your findings, you’re the obvious authority on the topic haha

Gerry, that’s what I’m thinking I’ll have to do. I’m going on a trip on the 22nd and know that smell will drive me crazy after a couple nights.

Gary Tingey
    Spectator

@garytingey

Locale: PNW

The first time I used mine (2 years ago, PNW) it was raining and I had the same concerns about the smell.  I emailed Tim and he was very nice and explained, just as he has here, that is was the humidity.  I never did anything to the quilt after and I only smell it on wet nights.  When I get home It never smells, and I sometimes give it a random smell check and then end up wrapping myself in it because it’s so soft and comfy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

my WM highlite had the same smell when used in humid conditions … as did my EE quilt … as did my friends marmot xenon

for odorless go synthetic … even the best makers with down quilts/bags might have some smell initially

;)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yep, it has gone away with time for me.  I hope my HammockGear UQ does as well!  Not a wet dog, but some other flavor of funk.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

I bought a used EE quilt awhile back that had a very strong dead bird funk to it.  I tried washing it and airing it out, but the stink remained. After awhile it bothered me less, but it still bothered me enough to sell it.  It was like sleeping in a chicken coup.  My Katabatic quilt had a similar smell but much much less than the EE. I also have a custom quilt made by a MYOG’er that has the smell but like the Katabatic it is almost not noticeable and does not bother me.  For these reasons I do not see myself even looking at EE again.

Caulin L
    Spectator

@thenightsquatch

Just to clarify, I am in no way knocking EE products or their down. EE’s craftsmanship and design is excellent, as well as their value. I think the poultry smell is a crap shoot and some batches of down have more of it than others. Not to mention the fact that ultralight products like EE use thinner materials, which could provide less of an odor barrier. With that in mind, I would recommend the optional weather stripes; Wish I got those.

In the same breath, I don’t think it is an unreasonable expectation to think that a sleeping bag or quilt shouldn’t smell like a wet bird/dog every time it is used in humid conditions. And trust me, it isn’t like I’m looking for trouble and jumped on the forums at the faintest hint of a smell. I woke up a few times in the night horrified and perplexed by the smell. I had no idea where it was coming from. It completely filled the tent.

So I’m going to give it a wash and see if that’ll changes much. I love the quilt and really can’t wait to be able to use it without frying my nose and odor staining my base layers lol

I’ll give an update after the wash. Thanks guys

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The interesting questions is why even the best doen bags can smell when damp … But damp down jackets usually dont

Even cheap down jackets dont smell much when damp

Its a question for which i have no answer

;)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I did pick up a cheap down vest at Costco once that positively reeked of bird…and put it back down after carrying it in my cart for a few minutes.  This was before I got my EE quilt; now I probably would have kept the vest and just aired it out in the garage for a while.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools