Topic

Communicating with IERCC to Call for Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Communicating with IERCC to Call for Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

IERCC: International Emergency Rescue Coordination Center  based in Houston, Texas.  (Garmin, SPOT,  and all the rest use this center.)

“OK here comes the kicker, evidently I needed to turn off my SPOT® prior to sending the S.O.S. to reset the device. Because I had sent the “I’m OK but needs help at this location” message earlier my S.O.S was not sent or received by GEOS”

Details Here –

https://www.nwmtbch.org/uploads/document/file/33/What_you_need_to_know_about_Spot.pdf

Also from my own reading, if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, whether or not they seem related to a rescue, GEOS insurance probably won’t cover you.  Read the Exclusions carefully.

YMMV.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

In matters of life and death the moments and decisions are rapidly flying by. Remembering the fine print as you’re desperately attempting contact shouldn’t be put through the bureaucratic ‘efferknot of responsibility. This is good info, sad that they make it so black and white.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Garmin recently bought GEOS/IERCC. I have a bad feeling about this :-(

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/garmin-acquires-the-geos-international-emergency-response-coordination-center/

And rescue “insurance” (most often “assistance,” a critical distinction as in that packer’s story) usually comes with pages and pages of carefully hidden legal weasel-words.

https://backpackinglight.com/rescue-insurance-backpackers-sanders/

— Rex

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Personal locator beacons don’t use that center. Global Rescue is the only rescue insurance I would buy.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Just to be clear: Global Rescue provides rescue “assistance,” not insurance. From their FAQ:

All services must be arranged and provided by Global Rescue

Which was the problem described in the OP but with a different company.

Assistance might be exactly what you want to pay for, but make sure you understand that. You must contact GR directly in order to get their services. And PLBs can’t do that.

— Rex

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A bunch of profit-making private companies. The managers will be totally focused on minimising their costs.

The international PLB organisation is a not-for-profit quango, able to coordinate and call on officials and rescue organisations around the world. To the best of my knowledge (which might be limited), there is no charge for being rescued when you hit the big red button.

A frequent comment from SAR groups and other associated bodies is that they much prefer to haul out a live one than a body.

Now, travel insurance for lost luggage, hospitals etc – that is another matter. If you are going overseas, buy it. We do, even though we have never used it.

Ha- I broke a filling in Austria once, at the end of the Via Alpina. The Tourist Office contacted and sent me to a very fine local dentist, who did an excellent repair. No charge: I was a TOURIST.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools