Topic

Colorado Backpack mid-June 2021

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Colorado Backpack mid-June 2021

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

I am looking for a location in Colorado that is likely to be mostly snow-free in mid-June for backpacking. It should also be within about a 2-3 hour drive from Boulder and not require getting permits (RMNP). We would prefer a loop, but an out-and-back could also do. A shuttle hike would likely need to be closer to the Boulder area.

I am somewhat familiar with the Lost Creek Wilderness (Lost Creek Wilderness Loop and the Wigwam/McCurdy/Brookside Loops) and I think one of those may work. The other places I can think of are likely to still have a lot of snow. Places such as Baker-Bowen Gulch (Never Summer Wilderness), Gore Lake (Eagles Nest Wilderness), Rogers Pass, Heart and Crater Lakes (James Peak Wilderness). Any ideas or suggestions?

Perhaps another way of looking at this is to ask: “At what elevation should I expect to see a lot of snow in mid-June of 2021?” I would want to plan on staying below that elevation.

Thanks, Lennox

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

It’s not just elevation that is an issue. You might have a big difference between the north and south facing slopes, shaded slopes, wind blown slopes etc.

But the bottom line is if you are too early odds are you will post hole a bit, or a lot.

I’d consider Lost Creek to be very safe in mid June, I hiked it in late May with no problems. By mid June I think you’d probably be snow free below 12,000 and fairly snow free higher up depending on other factors.

I know in mid June I went pretty much wherever I wanted in Wyoming. I actually don’t think I’ve spent a June in Colorado.

I would make Lost Creek the backup and plan something higher as an option if snow is good. With all the people in Colorado I would assume you could check a FB page or talk to a FS office for last minute info.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

You’re probably not going to like this answer, but it’s honest. It’s really going to be hit or miss in mid-June in the places you are looking at. Yes, Lost Creek is the conventional early season choice. Not super exciting IMO, but at least you can get out close to home. It depends so much on the local snow-pack and year-to-year differences can be massive. It’s also hard to get good info that time of year since so few people are posting reports. I have found that I need to be very flexible and ready to change plans on the fly, so I try to go places that I am familiar with.

Frankly, I usually try to go farther south in June, the Sangre de Cristos or South San Juans are a better bet. And even then there can be a lot of snow. But that is more driving than you wanted.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks much to Luke and Dan. Some of my most memorable trips have been when I planned one thing and then changed plans last minute when something better presented or the original plan did not work. I think we will plan for Lost Creek Wilderness, but keep monitoring one of the other locations and if they look reasonable in June go there.

Thanks again, Lennox

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

You may want to bump this thread in early June to see if anyone has timely information.

John B
    BPL Member

@jnb0216

Locale: western Colorado

I would also suggest Lost Creek wilderness.  Sangre’s can be a possibility then–the biggest issue is trailhead access

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Yeah… I think we’re going to plan on Lost Peak Wilderness for this June hike. We only have three days, so we do not want to spend too much time driving from and back to the Boulder area. The Sangres and S. San Juan would be great, but a little too far away for this trip. We’ll monitor the snow conditions at other places, but I expect Never Summer, James Peak and Eagle’s Nest Wildernesses will still have too much snow. I was hoping to find a place that I had not heard of, or considered.

Thanks, Lennox

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

This will speak to your plans:  when the Park Service opened for back country reservations for Rocky Mountain Park earlier this month, the system overloaded and crashed in the first 5 minutes.  When they reopened the website several days later the months of May-June, July-August, and Sept-Oct were separated out and reservations accepted on different days.  Folks reserving for May-June did OK.  The system crashed again when reservations opened for July-August.  The NPS ultimately opted for a lottery system, and now we are all waiting to hear if we get a chance at a back country site.

You can usually count on snow in the high country well through the end of of June into early and even mid-July, depending on the year, spring snows, etc.  Your current plan makes the best sense since you have to plan in advance.  And enjoy a reservation-free trip before the entire state becomes a reservation-only zone.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Over the years I have done a number of backpacking trips in RMNP. Every one of them was great. I used to drive up to the backcountry office and have my pick of pretty much any campsite I wanted on the same day. Once it got more crowded and more campsites were taken, I kinda lost interest. I tagged along on a group trip last year and someone else reserved campsites on the west side. I am glad I did as I understand much of the area we hiked burned last fall. Now that there is a lottery system in place for reservations, I doubt I will be using backcountry campsites in the park again.

I prefer Wilderness areas where I can camp wherever I find a vacant spot and stay a night or two if I choose, without having to move a pre-determined number of miles to the next reserved site.

I think Lost Creek Wilderness in June will be our best option for June.

Thanks, L.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

You know, since this was bumped, I had another thought. Sometimes Buffalo Peaks is ok in mid-June. Just depends on the year. And it’s a really easy drive.  It can be a nice place to go to shake off the winter rust.  Last year was super dry obviously, but I was there on June 5th, 2020 and it was totally fine, even the peaks were hikeable.

The first photo was Buffalo Meadows in June 2020 and the second photo was taken on West Buffalo Peak in the third week of June 2018. Even above 13,000′ there wasn’t a lot of snow. Of course, 2019 was impossible in June since we had those big Spring storms.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks, Dan. I will check out the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness. I have seen it many time across the river when visiting the Collegiate Peaks. I agree, 2019 was a snowy spring. I bailed out of higher parts of the James Peak Wilderness in early July due to post holing in the snow.

Lennox

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Never tried to use this for Co. but found it helpful for WY. Postholer CDT

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Not much help in advance, but Caltopo Pro membership gives you acces to the weekly  Sentinel Satelite imagery.

This allows a pretty detailed look at your potential route as far as snow cover goes.

https://caltopo.com/about/2019/06/26/sentinel-satellite-imagery/

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks!

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thank you!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Not much help in advance, but Caltopo Pro membership gives you acces to the weekly  Sentinel Satelite imagery.

This allows a pretty detailed look at your potential route as far as snow cover goes.

I’d forgotten about that since I haven’t really had a chance to use it in practice but I upped my Caltopo subscription based on that option and took a few looks last summer when I couldn’t travel and it is really helpful.
    Can’t plan way ahead but you can clearly see when a stretch of a route becomes snow free and probably get a good idea from watching the melt when that should occur. It’s good clear photography.

As the saying goes: Seeing is believing.

Lennox N
    BPL Member

@blue-grendelgmail-com

Thanks, I plan on checking in on Caltopo in early June.

L.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Lennox check your PM’s. Sent you a random shot in the dark.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools