Topic

cleaning oil out of a pltypus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cleaning oil out of a pltypus

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I thought putting dish soap and warm water a few times would clean out my platypus – type container, but I am finding it is still rather oily.  When I got it I figured it would be dedicated to oil, but I am wondering if the left over oil will spoil (olive oil)

Thoughts, tips?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

After it’s dry, try putting some flour into the platy, enough to coat the sides. Let it sit for a bit. The flour should soak up the oil, then you can rinse it all out.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

I use denture cleaning tablets to clean my water bladders and bottles. Cheap and effective and leaves them minty fresh :-)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Try rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Use hot water, LOTS of dish soap, and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.  Cap, shake, dump, rinse, rinse, rinse.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

My first attempt was with the flour.  Sounded like a good idea and that it should work.  It did, but cleaning the flour out had its own minor problems.  Next time I will likely try the isopropol or Diane’s suggestion.

thanks, Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools