Topic

CCF pads (not winter)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I know CCF pads are a great addition to winter but I’m just curious how many carry CCF pads not in winter? If you do what size, thickness, weight and what do you use it for?

I’ll use a small one for a sit pad, but probably going to be upgrading a little bit to a more thicker one for my boney butt

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have always used a gossamer gear nightlight torso…prob 3/8 inch…for sleeping pad.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I carry (1)-(2) 72”x20” x 1/8” Evazote pads depending on seasonal temps to supplement my Uberlite. 3 season only. (2) 1/8” vs (1) 1/4” due to packability. If I take the 1/4” it must be rolled and stored on the outside of my pack. If it’s 1/8” it can be folded and stored in the main compartment of my pack. I also bring a 20”x 8” x 1/2” Evazote pad to sit on at all times.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Curious do you feel the 1/2 thick is thick to be comfortably

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Exped Flexmat Plus is the thickest ccf you’re going to find at 1.5″. You can just cut off as many sections as you need. Everything 25% off right now sitewide on expedusa.com.

https://www.expedusa.com/products/flexmat-plus

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The 3/8 inch thickness is okay. Many will say it just won’t work for them. If you are used to inflatables it may be hard to adjust to. I like it for simplicity but it is not always great depending on what you are sleeping on. Sand is nice. Hard pack is more difficult to be comfortable. The hip area is the most difficult to get comfy.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

For myself, I feel the 1/2″ thick is comfortable. Beats sitting on dirt, rock or pokey grass. I’m sitting on it in my profile pic. At 1 ounce, I can carry it wherever I go and not just keep in camp. I’ve used a full size Plastazote 72″x20″x 1/2″ mat as my only sleep pad before. Lighter than Evazote. 8.70 oz ea. They’re comfortable, for what they are. Don’t expect them to be more. Best if you’re mostly a back sleeper. Not so much if you side sleep often. The simplicity is great and it helps correct posture. They’re lighter than a comparable mainstream CCF pad, but can be bulky to pack. I’ve carried two at times if really cold. At 1″ the extra pad is nice and noticeable. I roll and strap them on the back of my pack with bungee cord. In this picture, I have two strapped on the pack. You can see one. Got down to 22 degrees that night. 1″ of Zote was plenty. I’ve taken 1″ down to 7 degrees.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!