Topic

By The Numbers- How Much Wind Penetrates Your Air Permeable Outer Layer at Hiking and Running Speeds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable By The Numbers- How Much Wind Penetrates Your Air Permeable Outer Layer at Hiking and Running Speeds

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Sorry, yes.  Let me rephrase since my last post did not make sense and I edited it.  A 48300 in black would absorb more sunlight but me more air permeable.  A 48800 would be less air permeable but reflect sunlight.  Which one would you go with and why? Thank you for answering all the questions, I am just trying to learn more and hopefully other people are also.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The conditions I face in Colorado are undoubtedly different than those you face so I don’t think I can provide more useful advice than I already have.  Sorry.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Companion forum thread to: By The Numbers- How Much Wind Penetrates Your Air Permeable Outer Layer at Hiking and Running Speeds

Stephen Seeber helps us answer the question, “do air-permeable garments allow a noticeable amount of ventilation while hiking or running?”

Metamorphosis
    BPL Member

@sanjog

Stephen,

For high exertion/sweaty activities (xc skiing and backpacking) in cold weather (New England), what are your thoughts on having HH Lifa 48300 between Fishnet and Alpha 60? Would that keep as much sweat away from the skin? Or is super light merino layer better between Fishnet and Alpha 60 for cold weather activities?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Meta:  My winter uniform is Brynje, HH Lifa or Finetrack, Alpha 60, and a wind layer, which is usually a Shakedry jacket with 20″ pit zips.  I wear this for hiking, backpacking, and backcountry skiing.  Of course, you will need to vary the layers according to your level of exertion and wind/temperature conditions.  If it is particularly cold, I might replace the Alpha 60 with an Alpha Duo, which is two layers of Alpha 60 sewn together by Farpointeog.com. I also sometimes layer an inside-out Mountain Hardwear Airmesh over the 60 gsm Alpha Direct. When this is used without a wind layer, vapor can freeze at the ends of the exposed napped fibers of the Airmesh and then simply be brushed off. This works nicely when the cold winds are not blowing too hard.  When it gets really cold, such as high winds and temps in single digits F or below, I might cover the whole ensemble with a puffy such as a Patagonia Micro Puff or, with even lower temperatures, a Patagonia Macro Puff.  I don’t carry two Puffs; I decide which to carry based on the conditions I expect.

I do not use Merino layers. I think it would generally reduce the MVTR of the ensemble and trap more moisture in its fibers due to both its hydrophilic properties and typically denser knit than the garments I described above.

Metamorphosis
    BPL Member

@sanjog

This is very helpful. Thank you!!

Metamorphosis
    BPL Member

@sanjog

Hello Stephen,

Making sure that I am reading this correctly: “The air permeability of the 48300 is 1143.  I have not measured the MVTR of the 48300.  It is probably around 6800”.

HH Lifa 48300 has almost the same air permeability as Brynje fish net?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Meta. That air perm number is wrong. I corrected high air perm numbers in the updated article. The revised air perm is 613.

Metamorphosis
    BPL Member

@sanjog

Thanks! Have you tried this kind of layering (Brynje fish net+ HH Lifa) for the lower body?

Naomi B
    BPL Member

@naomibro

Locale: Richmond

Meta: wear the “fishnet” thingie when cycling, under my jersey

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!