Topic

Book Review: Trail of the Lost

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Book Review: Trail of the Lost

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: Book Review: Trail of the Lost

Mark Wetherington reviews the Trail of the Lost by Andrea Lankford and reacts to the implications it unveils for backpackers.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I too found this book very readable and appreciated the viewpoint of a SAR ranger – how draining it is to fail in a rescue, how hard to avoid self-recrimination. And apparently it is hard to avoid being sucked down a rabbit hole, as the whole “corpse-finding” dowsing rod episode revealed. That part of the book was painful to read, but the rest of it moved along well.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Of the thousands, it is not altogether unlikely and plausible, that these individuals simply wanted to disappear, all of their own accord. A la, Into the Wild.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“Of the thousands, it is not altogether unlikely and plausible, that these individuals simply wanted to disappear, all of their own accord. A la, Into the Wild.”

Possibly.

Another good book about this topic is Nature Noir, about a park ranger in the Sierra that went missing. Suffice to say that unlikely things can happen even to highly experienced hikers. I changed some of my habits in snow after reading this.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I like to think people have a way and will within their own lives that most people outside their common circle feel they control. And in reality, do not. To lose, only to be found. To that which ends, only begins. Maybe not in ways we understand, wish or determine. If the glass is seen half empty, you need only to know, someone is refreshed with half that glass.

John B
    BPL Member

@jnb0216

Locale: western Colorado

Just finished this book–it’s well worth the read.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools