Topic

Black Diamond Blitz Spikes Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Black Diamond Blitz Spikes Review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Black Diamond Blitz Spikes Review

The Black Diamond Blitz Traction Spikes (MSRP $39.95, 1.5 to 1.8 oz / 42 to 50 g) are ultralight, stainless-steel, forefoot-only traction devices for shoes and boots intended for incidental use on hard-packed snow terrain.

Luke R
    Spectator

@luke-russell

Thanks for the article, Ryan! Looks like a great addition for transition seasons, especially at elevation.

Just one typo here I think, “Tiny size, truly ultralight, and speed (ease) of taking them off and putting them on are the hallmark features of the Black Diamond Distance Spikes.”

Guessing you meant to refer to the BD Blitz Traction Spikes here, not the Distances?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I picked up a pair of BD Access Spikes this winter. I found them to be woefully under engineered. The light wire they used bent easily and finally just failed entirely after about 20 days of use. I don’t see the same wimpy wire on these Blitzs anywhere though. But the chains on Micro Spikes are more robust. Be very gentle with your BDs.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Luke, thanks for the correction! Fixed.

Philip, if I saw that kind of failure, I’d be sending them back. Looks like (maybe) that steel wire was inadequately tempered. At that diameter, it shouldn’t be bending out during routine use on snow.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I was on icy trails so they definitely made rock contact. But they popped their clogs under conditions the Kahtoolas laugh at.

Sloan
    Spectator

@gingersnap

Does anyone have any thought or experience as to how this would compare to the vargo v3 pocket cleats?

I was going to get the vargo pocket cleats for a CT thru hike this year however these black diamond spikes look like they might be more stable on the foot and easier to put on and take off?

I have no experience with traction devices so I don’t really have a comparison of functionality.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

The Blitz spikes look like a good option for some ultralight marginal trail situations, like early morning ice. I found the Vargo V3 cleats to be too fiddly, too much effort, and the sewing on the vinyl parts failed almost immediately.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I’ve had a hard time getting the Vargo spikes to stay in place while sidehilling, but their longer cleats are better for steeper terrain. They’re terrible on dirt and rock. This is where the short-spike-traction of the BD spikes, Kahtoola Microspikes, etc. are much better.

The Blitz is definitely a fringe spike for “a little better grip” in “just-in-case” situations…!

Kristoffer Fredriksson
    BPL Member

@rullgrus

I got the Blitz for some “just-in-case” snow field walking for my last trip and they broke on the second usage. It was the single seam holding the nylon webbing toe loop together that disintegrated. Perhaps I nicked the thread with the spikes while I walked.

In hindsight a single seam does seem inadequate. If I keep them I will reinforce it with the sewing-machine or perhaps rivets.

Broken seam on Black Diamond Blitz toe loop

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!