Topic

Any value to an air mattress inflator bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any value to an air mattress inflator bag?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

Since I moved to the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, there’s a lot more blowing I need to do. <Dad jokes need not apply :) >

I noticed that some people have opted to use inflator bags to push air into the mattress. At first I thought this was a bit silly and a waste of money and weight. Then I noticed people were making their own and it gave me pause to consider it.

I tried making one using a double ended ZPacks ditty sack. I was able to draw it closed around the valve and place a rubber band over it to keep it in place. It technically worked, but since the volume of the bag was so small, it would be more work than simply blowing it up normally.

Then I tried an 8 gal trashbag I had on hand. I put a water bottle top in for good measure and a rubber band around the valve to keep it sealed. There are other perhaps more elegant ways to do this, but I was just fiddling around with stuff I had on hand. It worked. It took 5 inflations to fill the mattress. At the end, I did have to kind of top off the mattress by blowing a small amount into the valve if I wanted it to be very firm. The bag inflator setup was allowing the air in the mattress to escape.

I’m not sure what I think honestly. While this solution only weighs 15g, I’m not sure of any real benefit. I’ve been able to inflate the air mattress myself without any real trouble.

Have any of you found a value in using a bag inflator for your air mattress?

YouTube video

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Ryan Spurlock
    BPL Member

@ryans

I found this video helped me, when I was looking for a solution

YouTube video

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Zack, after using a trash compactor bag (also serves as pack liner) to blow up my X-lite Medium (Gossamer Gear’s technique), I switched back to using my lungs in the end. Even after getting the bag technique refined well enough, it takes about the same amount of time and is more awkward than simply blowing up by mouth IMHO. That being said, if I have extra time setting up camp, I’ll use the bag inflation method once in a while, figuring it may help reduce moisture inside the mattress, which is probably not a bad idea. Here’s a good BPL post on the topic with some helpful links:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/can-you-inflate-xlites-w-your-mouth/

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Yes there certainly is value. I use a nyloflume bag at 30g as a pack liner anyway so no added weight. It will fill an xtherm or xlite with approx. 2 1/2 reps. and doesn’t induce moisture laden air. It also comes with little to no effort at the end of the day, especially when filling both my wife’s and my own mattress. There is really no need for adding additional attachment parts as once you acquire the proper technique it couldn’t be simpler. Remember, a big part of UL is gaining knowledge and techniques which will replace gadgets and extra gear which in turn will lighten your load :)

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

ok, nvm, I got the trash compactor method to work. Takes about 2 bags to inflate the Xtherm, total weight is 1.2 oz. Sure, I could use CF, but this plastic bag method was free.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Lots ‘o options, but i choose to use a schnozzel for a pack liner and to inflate my neoair xlite.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

I was able to use my ZPacks CF dry bag pack liner to inflate it. 3 bags worth. I’m just concerned all the wrinkling and compression could damage my dry bag.

Andy H
    Spectator

@drewjamicks

Locale: Southwest

Hi Zack,

I enlarged the nozzle hole on this to fit onto my XLite and it works great:

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Air+Stream+Dry+Sack+Pump&o1=0&o2=0&o3=951

The size of the bag itself is perfect for storing my quilt in, which I would do anyways, so it has a fantastic double purpose. After experiencing a moldy blow-up pad I vowed to never go there again and this does the trick.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’m still diggin’ the now-discontinued Instaflator ’cause I don’t use a pack liner.

Many report no long-term problems using lung power and its resulting moisture, but I definitely wouldn’t inflate a down-filled air mat with moisture-laden breath.

And it is especially bad to fill any air mat by breath in the winter because the moisture condenses and freezes, which means that much of the moisture content is not expelled when the mat is deflated. Because of this, air mats can take on quite a bit of weight on a longer winter trip. And then when returning to a warm environment the air mat can end up with significant amounts of liquid water inside it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!