Topic

(Almost) Absolute Lightest Alcohol Kit to Boil 6 oz Water Twice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion (Almost) Absolute Lightest Alcohol Kit to Boil 6 oz Water Twice?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nice!  I wasn’t sure what the “Gripper” meant!  Thanks.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The holes are…um…er…on the back. Well, actually, I haven’t punched them yet. I made that windscreen to use with a canister stove and it didn’t need holes for that. I’ll punch them out before I do the boil tests.

That windscreen looks familiar:

Kevin, I do have 2 Heineken cans that can be used to put a kit together. The Ring of Fire is my wifes favorite kit…..totally stable. I’ll get in touch.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David, the Foster can with Do-It-Yourself bottom added to it is potentially a collector of bacteria inside the can where the can meets the add-on bottom. On the left side of the pot you can see a gap where the bottom is not tight against wall of can. There will be uneven gaps on the inside also.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Dan,

Simmershield was one recent inspiration, although early inspiration came from Jon Fong’s Snow Leopard.

I apply sealant before pressing the cans together and it fills the gap.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

@Zelph – I emailed you at your xx3 gmail address (the last one I had for you).  PM me if you didn’t get it.  Thanks!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I apply sealant before pressing the cans together and it fills the gap.

Makes me gag to think of what can grow inside the can where the base forms a seam inside the can. The guy that came up with that original design should be …………………………..

If you would please, punch holes in the bottom of your windscreen and post a photo showing how it looks when it’s 15 grams lighter :)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Perhaps I didn’t explain it well. Here is a drawing. There is nowhere for bacteria or anything else to grow.

I’ve been using the same can with this type of base for at least 5 years with no problems, and I’ve sold dozens of them with no reported problems or complaints. So it seems to work well.

Has bacteria been a problem with the flat base cans you make, where you join a steel base to a Foster’s can and use sealant at the seam?

Here is the windscreen with holes punched. Didn’t shave off even a gram.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Send me a reject one so I can cut it down to photograph inside. ;-)

Holes look good.

Kit I put together today. Wide mouth pot, 3″ tall windscreen, titanium pot support made for esbit kits, aluminum pot cover.  Weight .7

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Dan, I’ll send you one if you promise to post the photographs here.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Changed my mind. You can cut one down and show us the inside at the bottom where the glue seeps out.

I used a commercial canning machine to add the flat base to foster pots. I did not like the looks of the seam inside the pot so I discontinued. The inside looked just like a store bought can of soup can. Too risky to have some food stuff left in pot.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Sorry about that kit I showed….it’s for esbit not alchohol.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice setup David. Seems fairly efficient.

STEVE: I’m a confirmed ESBIT user with the Brian Green BEGT burner he developed to extend burn time. Odor? only a bit. Residue on pot? Yeah but I easily deal with it.

My best alcohol burner is a KOJIN burner from Trail Designs. Both ESBIT and theKOJIN ae used in my Trail Designs ti Sidewinder cone stove with its 3 cup anodized aluminum pot. A very efficient setup.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools