Topic

Adding weight to increase versatility

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Adding weight to increase versatility

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

While it may go against the trend to simplify and minimise who here would add in an extra hundred grams or so to increase the temperature range and versatility of the packed kit?

So rather than taking one insulating layer to suit a certain temperature range taking two,both adding up to more than the weight of a single garment but adding up to the same minimum temperature rating

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used to have one vest, now I have two, one down, one synthetic.  Synthetic is good if its wet, sort of survival mode.  Down warmer for the weight.

Vest is about 1 square yard.  There’s an extra inside and outside fabric, about 1 oz/yd2, so two vests weigh an extra 2 ounces.

I have a hybrid bivy/quilt.  My current one has the outside fabric M50, but it has rows of stitches for each baffle, so it’s not as weather-proof.  I’m making a new one with an extra layer of fabric with the rows of stitches for baffles, the M50 on the outside has only stitches around the perimeter, so it’s more weatherproof.  The extra layer of fabric is 1 oz/yd2, 3 yd2, so an extra 3 ounces.

A mouse nibbled on my old one which I fixed with McNett Seam Grip. I am gradually using up its lifetime.  I don’t like to make new things that replace perfectly good old things.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

If the added weight has value, go for it.  It’s not a competition.  If the extra weight means you’re not shivering, it’s worth it.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

If versatility means staying out longer with one food load, then the pack will be heavier.  If versatility means starting a trip at 40F on Day 1 and by Day 10 you get -10F then you will need a heavier pack for warmth layers and bag warmth.

A variety of weather conditions on a long trip dictates what to take for comfort and/or survivability.  Even what kind of shelter to bring.

Such variety attacks the Right Tool for the Job mentality, whereas we need a Multi Tool for a variety of jobs—and more versatility.

You could start a 21 day winter trip with clear skies at 60F.  Your 30F bag will work great.  Right tool for THAT day.  You brought a tarp—works great.

Then on Day 12 you hit a series of blizzards at 0F atop an open bald and have to hunker in for a couple days to get thru the storm.  The right tools go haywire because you now need a good tent to keep out spindrift and a subzero bag for the cold nights.  Same trip, different conditions.  Miss Nature is very versatile and changeable—to sleep with her we need versatile gear.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

That is sort of what I meant to convey Walter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools