Topic

light and cheap’er altimeter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) light and cheap’er altimeter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I'm getting started with off-trail trips and am looking for a good solution for an altimeter. I'm not convinced that this will include a digital compass that can replace my analog, so I don't mind separating the two. A time keeper would be useful, so a wrist watch would be fine. Cheap(?) would be nice. Suunto is attractive but I've never been impressed with the size or price. I already have a GPS, just don't want to lug it around. Suggestions?

-Michael

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

G'day Michael,

I reckon an altimeter is one of the most useful navigational tools you take with you out in the mountains.

I use it all the time when walking. It allows you to navigate in three dimensions: much more accurate than map coordinates alone. It narrows down your error range allowing you to pinpoint your position with much greater accuracy.

I have a Suunto Vector watch and you do get used to the bulky size of them. I now wear it all the time as I've come to prefer it to my analogue Seiko.

I would never rely on the watch's digital compass as my primary navgational tool. I always take my old trusty Silva compass on every walk I do and do all my navigation with it. However, having the digi compass on my watch provides me with an effective backup (for no extra weight)in case I were to lose the Silva.
    This happened to me once. I foolishly left the compass in my pocket with the cord hanging out and it snagged on some scrub and was pulled out of my pocket. I was in thick scrub and I couldn't find it anywhere despite a frantic search. I was forced to rely on the digi compass on my watch which was OK but no where near as convenient as using the analogue Silva. Unbelievably, a few days later, on my return trip, I spotted the compass hanging from a branch. The scrub was so thick that if I had been even a metre further away I would never have seen it!

So my advice is for a watch. In addition to the altimeter and compass, mine has a thermometer, alarms, timers and a barometer (it even tells the time!). But the killer app is the altimeter.

Andy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Michael,
    I second Andrew's take on using an analog compass. Much less hassle. If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the Highgear Altitec. It has all of the functions Andrew mentioned, plus a thermometer, which I find very useful. Also a couple of other functions which fall in what I call the "Bells and Whistles" category. Still, they're free, so what the hey. The Altitec weighs ~2 oz. and has a carabiner style ring with spring loaded gate designed for clipping to d-rings on shoulder straps or elsewhere. The face plate swivels up so you can check readings merely by looking down, without bothering to unclip the device. If you "Google" it, you'll find a couple of websites that have it on sale for $139; sorry, I can't remember the URL's off the top of my head.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Vote #2 – Highgear Altitech. I personally don't like the wrist devices as you have to pull your sleeve up and your glove down to read it in cold weather…another reason – a watch thermometer doesn't do too much if it's under your clothes. My .02.

Ross Novak

@aurator

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

just a comment on wearing an altimeter under your clothes, I have a suunoto (sp?) vector, and they offer an aftermarket strap that is made of heavy duty elastic, and is extremely long, so you can strap it to your wist outside of your clothing. I've seen climbers in an alpine setting sliding it up above their elbow, to better have their wrists clear for climbing. of course, I trimmed mine down a bit (save weight, haha.)so it's not as long

I use a winter soft shell system, so I pretty much have my jacket on all day, and pull on a das parka over everything when I stop, so there's no issue with pulling the watch on and off while dropping layers.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Thanks guys, that's all I needed. The Suunto are, without a doubt, great pieces of gear. But I don't wear a watch on any given day, so the Altitech is the right design for me. And, Ross, thanks ALOT for the tip; my HighGear AltiTech 2 is on it's way. I'm going to post that tip in the Gear Deal forum.

-michael

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

Their are quite a few models to pick from. Suunto is perhaps best known but you won't go wrong with High Gear or St. Mortitz to name just two.

I've found that you don't notice the size of the watch pretty quickl. Find one with an interface you like. That'll be more important long ter.

If you absolutely want to go a non-watch route you certainly can with products like the High Gear Alittech and, of course, many of the more advanced weather meters from companies like Kestrel and JDC.

Keep in mind that as a watch the thermometer sensor is all but useless. It'll give you a great reading of your wrist temperature, but until you remove it and leave it off for a while you'll not get ambient temperature.

With all the devices that sport digital compasses (including GPS) I'd not really rely on them for precise navigation. While they will all have resolution of 1°, that is display in incrments of a degree, the value fluctuates considerably making accuracy considerably less. As a means to quickly get a snese of direction they're fine, but for following a compass reading over time stick with an analog compass you can easily hold flat in front of you as you walk.

** Ken **

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools