Topic

Shoe Goo for.Cuben repairs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Shoe Goo for.Cuben repairs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I always carry a small tube of Shoe Goo in my pack for various repairs. Has anyone used Shoe Goo to repair holes/ abraided areas in Cuben?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But cuben tape is so light, neat, and permanent. If that is all I have, maybe. Have you ever use that stuff on a trip/ Does it not take a bit to dry?

I examine my gear before and after a trip. In 30 years I think I have had three repairs in the field. I don't carry that much in the way of in case repair stuff anymore. Instead I try to be more mindful. Fingers crossed, so far so good.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Ken,
    Yes,I agree..Cuben is bulletproof..;)

BUT..on the days that it's not…..

SG has impressed me with it's toughness and abilty to adhere to a wide variety of materials.I have completely rebuilt shoe soles with the stuff.

I simply figured that a small dab od clear SG in a wear slot or hole insife s Cuben pack or shelter would be lighter and neater than Cuben tape.

Will Faison
    BPL Member

@collegecamper

Locale: Michigan

I just seam sealed my cuben Khufu with Shoe Goo thinned with Goof Off. Before you laugh at the ridiculous names, shoe goo is a polyurethane glue, and the primary ingredient in goof off is xylene, which thins PU stuff very well. Now Ken has a point that tape is easier. But as to your question, "Can it work?" –yes it works very well. Furthermore, I am much more a sailor than a hiker, and I have had a hell of a time trying to get cuben tape to adhere to cuben batten patches (on sails) when the adhesive gets wet… obviously you won't have waves crashing over your bow in a cuben shelter, but I hear it rains occasionally in the backcountry. Just food for thought. I have a tiny sealed bottle (eyedropper size) of 1:1 Goof Off and Shoe Goo when I take my Khufu. Hope this helps.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I'd be interested in carrying some shoe goo for emergencies if I could repackage it that small. Can you please share how to transfer it and what kind of bottle you use? Thanks

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

shoe goo and McNett Seam Grip dry out very quickly once you open them, maybe a couple months if you don't open it it will still probably dry out within a year, but I'm just guessing If you put it in the freezer it will last a couple years even if you opened it

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Thank for the links, James. (better late than never)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!