Topic

Gutting an Osprey Aether 70

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gutting an Osprey Aether 70

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

The Osprey Aether 70 was my first real backpack but after purchasing the GoLite Jam 50 has been relegated to long winter trips only. It's rigidity and overall weight was always a distracting factor and its many 'features' were never utilized. One thing that always bothered me with how heavy they made the lid in order to market the 'detachable lid and belt as a fanny pack' option. Since I knew this would never be used I took knife to thread and removed the CCF, straps, and buckles from the lid – dropping its weight to 6.5oz.
    Like a madman fresh off his first kill, I went straight to the hydration bladder sleeve.
    Then to the Airscape back foam and netting. The netting, only, weighed 20g! I was initially concerned the pack would be too uncomfortable to carry without the foam but, being used in winter, I knew I'd be wearing multiple layers of clothing.

Several days passed until I needed to sate the bloodlust. I originally thought the frame and framesheet were permanent fixtures but after some manhandling was able to remove both. A nearly 8oz framesheet, completed with RIGID METAL BAR, was removed alongside a roughly 3.5oz frame.

The new Osprey Aether 70 (in medium) weighs 3.6lb. Removing the lid and belt for summit bids drops it to 2.6lb. Still not UL but for $0.00 I've dropped nearly one pound from a single piece of equipment. There remains a 'sleeve' between the 'suspension system' and the old framesheet sleeve in which I can fold a torso-length 1/8 or 1/4" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad.

Complete post, pictures, and weight measurements from trimming the Osprey Aether 70 on my (still under construction) site.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I cry, CRY I tell you, at such butchery of a nice, innocent, chubby pack. But OTOH I love modding gear so congrats on "having your way" with the pack. I'dhave left in the framsheet/stay, but maybe trimmed it a bit, gradually until it was less porky.

Maybe my old Dana Terraplane needs "an operation" too. (sob!)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools