Topic

wind screen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wind screen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

Ok, I have a Snow Peak giga stove and I have found myself in some very windy conditions. I don't feel like dropping the cash for a wind screen, but I feel like I will save fuel by caring one. Any ideas for a homemade version that Snow Peak offers?

Darrel Etter

@darrel-1

I tried making one just like what Snowpeak offers out of flashing and it melted. There is just too much heat in that area. A titanium version might be able to stand the heat.

I just use a doubled-up sheet of heavy duty foil wrapped 2/3 around the stove, canister, and pot – in the most traditional way – held down by a couple of rocks under a lip of the foil. It's simple, easy, and packs well. If you face the screen toward the wind and leave it 1/3 open, the canister doesn't get hot. It probably works better than the integrated Snowpeak windscreen.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Thanks for the insight. You don't have a picture of that in use, do you? Although I understand what you are saying, I am much more of a visual learner.

I'll give that a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Darrel Etter

@darrel-1

Just a piece of foil like usual:Aluminum windscreen

…weighs about 1/2 ounce compared to the steel 2oz. snowpeak wind screen.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Ahh, so simple! Now I wonder why I never thought of that. Thanks!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Using $12-13 of materials (a SP Titanium Bowl)

Homemade Ti (Snowpeak) Windscreen

Though I will probably simply use my TD/TiGoat Tri-Ti in the future… Quad-Ti

Simon Harding

@simonharding

The "frying pan" lid that comes with some of the snowpeak cooksets would also work. I have a 25 oz pot that came with such a lid.

I went on a quick overnight to Jeff. Park Saturday with my son for his birthday, and the wind made it a bit of a challenge to get our water boiled even witht eh heavy SP windscreen in place. It doesn't shield the flames very effectively, though admittedly, I was using a near empty canister – as I always do on short trips so I can use them up.

Simon

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Careful though. It's not recommended that you use a windscreen for butane stoves that encloses the canister.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> It's not recommended that you use a windscreen for butane stoves that encloses the canister.
    Myth promoted by lawyers for certain stove vendors.

The reality is that any experienced walker who travels in bad weather and snow country uses a windshield ALL the time. Usually in the vestibule of their tent too.
    I did, for 3 months in France.

Cheers

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I make a windscreen out of a pie pan. It's very easy to make, lightweight, reasonably durable and it encloses just the burner so no worries about canister overheating. You can see it here

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Roger,
    I rarely use a canister stove so you would probably know better than I. That's in cold weather and would seem to be OK since the ambient temp. would mitigate any possible overheating; plus, the reflected heat would seem to keep the fuel warmer and make it more efficient. But in your experience, would you say it's also OK to enclose the canister during summer use? It won't overheat and be a potential danger?

P.S. When I use my Snowpeak Gigapower, I never use a windscreen. I really only use them for my alcohol stove.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

There's no problem enclosing a canister during summer temperatures. Especially if you're only running the stove for a few minutes as most ULers do.

If you're going to cook for longer, or if it's hot out, just make a radiation shield. Cut a disc of foil or flashing with a hole in the middle, and put it on the canister like a collar before you attach the stove. This will reflect heat back upwards to your pot and keep your canister nice and cool. (Remember to check the canister temperature every so often, of course.)

Check out Roger's article on exploding canisters.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jason

> would you say it's also OK to enclose the canister during summer use? It won't overheat and be a potential danger?
    Well, I always use a windshield, but I ALWAYS monitor the temperature of the canister.

When boiling 1/2 litre for tea & coffee in the summer I use the windscreen with a 3/4 wrap to block the wind. The winsdshield plus a lid cuts the gas used by about half.

If cooking dinner for a while I usually add the radiation shield *in the summer*. However, in France this (Northern hemisphere) summer I never once used the rad shield – it was never hot enough to worry.

Cheers

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

"Careful though. It's not recommended that you use a windscreen for butane stoves that encloses the canister."

Neither option I showed encloses the canisters. :D

One is simply a wind break (and can obviously be adjust to be more or less open), one is exactly like the windscreen that SP provides.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Joshua,
    Just to clarify, I was referring to the above post with the fully enclosed windscreen. Not your original post. I was actually trying to point out that most designs for canister stoves are more like yours, with only the top of the stove enclosed and not the canister itself.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I wanted a screen that packed well and was simple to use.

Borrowing freely from Joshua Mitchell’s titanium pot approach and inaki’s foil liner approach I created a one-piece foil windscreen for my canister stove.

I was fortunate to have nesting pots, with the largest able to hold my pot cozy, so the end result would fit over my cozy, on my cooking pot, with miscellaneous kitchen stuff, all inside a stuff sack.

After removing the rim of an aluminum foil deep dish liner I reformed the foil liner by squashing it between the nesting pots. I got some additional folds, but the end result was very uniform.

.BeforeAfter3

I created a paper template that fit over the burner and rested on the support pivots, taped it to the bottom of the liner, and cut away the foil with an exacto knife.

.Template

$1.00, 15 minutes, and 20 grams later I had a windscreen that fit nicely on the stove.

.Assembled

And packed well for easy transport.

.Stuff sack, Windscree, Cozy, Pot

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Nicely done, Greg.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

When you're willing to drop $12 you could make a terrific windscreen of a Snow Peak Titanium Bowl. Here's the one I made in about an hour, using a Dremel Tool. Works great in windy conditions.

Camp Kitchen With Snow Peak Bowl wind screen

Wind Screen on stove.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

I'm really surprised I missed your windscreen, Dennis. However, well done. TiBowls and Dremel Tools are two under appreciated implements… especially the TiBowls…

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Hi Greg,

How has your Al foil windscreen for your Snow Peak canister stove worked? Has the Al melted? Did the stove get enough air?

Thanks in advance.

Casey

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Casey,
    The windscreen is still going strong. I did melt out one one the slots in the bottom when the screen tipped before I got the pot in place. There is no signs of melting or heat on the side wall.

Wind screen

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Thanks Greg,

Your solution is much easier than trying to locate/customize a snow peak titanium bowl. It looks like you added some air inflow ports at the bottom.

Casey

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools