Topic

Sony a6000 or OM-D EM10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Sony a6000 or OM-D EM10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

Hey, i'm comparing the two recently. I'm going to upgrade from the NEX6.

Though i'm not heavily invested in the NEX E mount system the a6000 would be a familiar upgrade.

but i kind of want to try out the OM-D EM10 or EM5 or EM1.

I like being able to do some time lapse stuff w/o having to buy the applications.

Has anyone owned both? can comment on them? i've read up and down the internet about the two and they seem similarly matched, each having advantages and disadvantages.

Here are things I like about the a6000 that I have experienced with the NEX-6

I like the flash. Its flexible and I bounce flash quite a bit indoors (all the time)
    I like the image quality,
    the compactness of the system.

I wish it had a touch screen for the af like the OMD.

the OM-D does not have a flexible flash
    does have a touch screen
    has a huge array of lenses (compared to the apsc amount lenses)
    Also has in body image stabilization. which would help with my 200mm minolta legacy lens

One has a bigger sensor which ultimately will capture more light in low light situations, etc.

I'm just turned around and confused.

Love the NEX-6, I know i would love the a6000, but is the grass greener on the other side? or does it appear that way?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There are some comparisons on the web.

For example
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-vs-Sony-Alpha-A6000

I stepped up from Canon Digital Rebel plus a bunch of Canon glass including several professional L series lenses. The Oly takes great photos. I can carry it plus 3 lenses and not really feel the weight.

In your comparison, unless you are printing photographs, I would not weigh pixel count or size of sensor too much. I can take photos of the moon and stars with the Olympus with image stabilization or by turning IS off and putting the camera on a tripod. I really like the the very bright LIVE view finder and ability to have two manual dials to dial in ISO and exposure.

The built in flash is flexible enough for my purposes and when I need more, there are both Oly and third party flashes that work with the OMD.

The OMD EM 10 has in body image stabilization so the lenses do not need IS and will be lighter than any equivalent lense with IS.

Good luck. I am sure other BPLers with cameras will offer more insights.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I think the A6000 is great for still photography. It's my understanding that its menu is more intuitive and easier to navigate than that of the NEX6. Never owned the OMD EM 10.

My A6000 overheated once after recording some freestyle footballers for about 15 minutes. Apparently this was a problem with the NEX line and the rumors that Sony fixed the heat sink on subsequent models appears to be false.

I bought this camera for still photography, its APS-C sensor with 1.5 crop factor, and the ability to use a wide range of lenses so the video issue isn't that much of an issue for me. YMMV.

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

Bought the a6000. Can't even compare to the nex. It's a totally different camera. Now I'm looking for a good peice of glass. I'm looking at the 50mm 1.8. Or the trio of sigma lens. Also the 18-200mm. I think my life would be complete after that

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The 16mm I bought from you (I believe… or was it someone else?) has been wonderful to work with. It was the only lens I brought with me on the Wonderland Trail this week.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools