Topic

Keeping the Mice Out at GSMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Keeping the Mice Out at GSMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt Hall
    BPL Member

@canopycamper

Locale: Southeast

I'm planning a 10 day hike on the AT that will go through GSMNP. Shelter use is mandatory in the park. I will be using a quilt instead of a bag. Since quilts are open on the bottom side they are more susceptible to mice invasion. I have an Bear Paw Minimalist 1 inner net that I could use in the shelters. Is that necessary? Would it be easy to set up in the shelter? Should I just not worry about the mice?

John Quinn
    Spectator

@inspector8598

Locale: Northeast

Matt, I recently competed a AT thru-hike of the GSMNP on 8/3/14 – 8/6/14 from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap. The first night, I slept in a shelter. I used a Zpacks 40* sleeping bag. The mice were RELENTLESS all night long. They did not get into my sleeping bag but needless to say, I did not sleep very well. An inner net can easily be set up inside the shelter with guy line. The next two nights, I set up my Zpacks Solplex outside the shelters. Of course, I did my best to LNT. Regards, John

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

sleep with your head on the outside end of the shelter platform, and stay away from the walls. Mice run along the walls. They really wont bother you….much. Wear earplugs,and dont worry about them. They will just do mice stuff.

Take a garbage bag, and put it over your pack, and hang your pack on the bear cable. Clip it to it with a small cheap carabiner.

No worries.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

A mouse will just chew through a inner net if it wants in so that may not be a good idea. I have slept in the shelters bunches of nights and never had one get in my quilts. I did have one run accross my chest one time though. Sleep head out in the shelter and close to the middle. The mice tend to keep to the walls.

Matt Hall
    BPL Member

@canopycamper

Locale: Southeast

Thanks for the advice about avoiding the walls. I had forgotten about bringing ear plugs. I'll need them for the large snoring animals too.

I hadn't thought about mice chewing through the net, but I've had chipmunks chew through pockets in my pack on other trips. I guess I will join the mice.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Mice are less objectionable than the 60 yr old man with sleep apnea that snores, for sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools