Topic

Seeking advice on emergency insulation for unplanned overnights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seeking advice on emergency insulation for unplanned overnights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

can someone shed light on TOG in relation to temperature/en rating? Their original bag is 14 oz and 8 TOG, their "light" is 9.9 oz and 6 TOG

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

to repeat what I said above : )

"The Blizzard is rated at 8 tog = 0.8 RSI. From the Mammut document http://www.mammut.ch/images/Mammut_Sleep_well_pt1_E.pdf 0.8 RSI would give you a EN lower comfort limit of about 3 C = 38 F at 13.5 oz"

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

"Suggestions?"

You said you were pushing your mileage for a day, so…
    I have a tendency to turn quick overnighters into long dayhikes, and long dayhikes with a late start into night hikes or overnighters. For those more ambitious dayhikes, I prefer to just pack for a minimalist overnight going in than think in terms of emergency gear.
    No stove or extra clothing, but my shelter, pad, and quilt that will see me comfortably through a night in the 20s weigh <3.3lbs combined, and I'm not even "ultralight". My stuff for warm weather is about the same due to carrying the inner net for my shelter, but a lighter quilt.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks Jerry- missed the link :) , the "light" would then be ~ 48 degrees- looks like it would do the trick for most unexpected summer nights out

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools