Topic

Suggestions for late June backpacking in CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Suggestions for late June backpacking in CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Was planning on the Pecos, but after talking with the ranger it looks like the area is a tinderbox waiting to go off again this year. So, looking for suggestions in CO where there's been adequate snow fall to possibly alleviate that concern. Seems to rule out the Weminuche and South San Juans. Will possibly be driving to Cortez to see friends on to way, so southern UT is also an option, but figure it would be too late for that area. I have been intrigued by the Lost Creek Wilderness and I'm wondering what it would be like in the last week of June? Coming from Texas I like that the elevation isn't that great. Don't want to deal with a bear canister if possible. I'm open to suggestions.
    As always thanks in advance.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I don't think moisture will be a problem in the Wemenuche or SSJs. Snowpack isn't as high as other parts of the state but I just heard toady that snowpack is still at 120+% at Molas and Red Mtn. We did part of the CDT in the Wemenuche in a similar year a few years ago over fourth of July wknd and there was plenty of sloppy postholing.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Leigh it's dry in the Pecos but not like last May – just returned. Even some postholing Not sure what it will look like late June though unless there's moisture. I was planning the weminuche or big blue myself , … not sure about more postholing tho unless I get an age transplant.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

No bear canister needed. No fire danger – may have patches of snow at the top.

Try James Peak Wilderness starting from the East Portal.

http://www.coloradoswildareas.com/james-peak-wilderness/

The pics below are from Forrest Lake. My then 8 and 10 year old daughters did it.

onward to the lake

wow

Yes, it's this amazing.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Leigh I love Lost Creek but I've mostly gone early, might be a bit warmer in June. The most popular loop starts at Goose Creek but I really like the western loop over McCurdy Mountain its higher and more scenic. Of course if you have time you can combine the two loops into one big one.

Feel free to PM if you'd like

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I wouldn't rule out South San Juan Wilderness. It may be a lower snow year for that part of the state but actually that may make June workable whereas in a normal or higher snow year it wouldn't be. Here is a link to a well documented trip around the Blue Lake area. On my list to do so I don't have any personal knowledge to share.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/SSJ%20Blue%20Lake.html

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Thanks everyone, I was hoping I might be wrong about southern CO as it's still fairly close. I've just been so busy with end of school year stuff and being out of town on the weekends I haven't had the time to do a lot of research yet and it's coming up pretty soon. I'll check out those links.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools