Topic

PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion PCT movie with Reese Witherspoon coming out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

">"They are all voters and advocates."

+1. Even if they don't hike, they can be voters and advocates."

But that's a double edged sword. They may vote to keep the woods, but they won't necessarily vote to keep the wilderness – instead voting for cell towers and nice cabins every so many miles to sleep in and kiosks of some sort to buy burgers along the way.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"Swank was born in '74, too old. Carrot could play herself."

Eight years difference. That is nothing in Hollywood.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Because of the commentary on this, many (!) other websites and even Facebook, wrote my own nickel's worth of thoughts:
    http://www.pmags.com/that-book-cheryl-strayeds-wild

I am lazy and putting it up in one place. :D

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

I can't pretend to know why anybody else dislikes the book. I know that I read it pre-Oprah and didn't like it.

You can claim it isn't "about" the PCT, but it is set there, covers many aspects of the trail, and uses the PCT in the tagline on the cover. Read the description on the website. It sure puts itself out there as a journey with the PCT as the backdrop. Considering the numerous books "about" the PCT I have read, I'd say most are like Wild. They are about the people with the PCT as the setting. It could be the CDT, AT, or another trail. But considering the limited number of books on the PCT, any book that is set on it, can reasonably be considered "about" it in my humble opinion.

Any way, back to my view. I didn't care for it. I didn't like her. Her "journey" didn't seem to heal or strengthen her. At the end, I was left with the same impression of a selfish short-sighted woman that I started with. I complained about the book after reading it long before it could be considered a "backlash" since nobody else had read it. I just feel it is a poor book.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

My experience has been that some of the best stories come from people who behave uncoventially or experienced something that didn't go according to plan. Case in point, no one talks about all of the SF teams that did things right during Desert Storm. They talk/write about Bulldog's team and how they were compromised or Bravo Two Zero's hellaciously long e and e and eventual capture.

Regarding Pmag's article, I think calling the critics (not by Paul), mysogynistic, is a bit weak but likewise, calling Ms Strayed a nymphomaniac is likewise cheap.

In her own words, she fully admits that she has a male-like sexual appetite. Why is that worthy of criticism? I realize the hiking community comes from all walks of life but the puritans are free to watch Veggie Tales instead of reading this book.

I just got around to watching Walkumentary last week. POD recognized another triple Crowner's trail tail accomplish!ent when awarding him his crown. Don't see anyone slut shameing him.

I agree with the three star rating. Not a great book but not horrible either. Some light reading that I categorize under brain candy.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

***"It sure puts itself out there as a journey with the PCT as the backdrop"

No kidding. That's what I said. Notice, you too, said a BACKDROP. :)

The sub-line is "From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail".

Now that I think about it, I am very disappointed in the movie Casablanca. Nothing about the culture of north Africa…it only featured the city as a BACKDROP to the story. Awful movie…. ;)

***" any book that is set on it, can reasonably be considered "about" it in my humble opinion."

That's a rather broad brush you are painting with there sir.

One Tom Clancy book mentions the Appalachian Trail, (I frankly forget which)..Just saying.

***" I just feel it is a poor book."

And that is perfectly fine. I give it a "C" myself. So why do you feel it is a poor book? Is it because you didn't like her? The writing style? Not what you anticipated? Honestly curious.

***"I complained about the book after reading it long before it could be considered a "backlash" since nobody else had read it"

Good for you. Do you read the website Pitchfork on a regular basis and/or work in record store by any chance? :D

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

—-"No kidding. That's what I said. Notice, you too, said a BACKDROP. :)

Now that I think about it, I am very disappointed in the movie Casablanca. Nothing about the culture of north Africa…it only featured the city as a BACKDROP to the story. Awful movie…. ;)"

I'm saying that there is enough related to the PCT it is a "Pct Book". You might be right that no backlash would have occurred if the setting was different. Your Casablanca example is a stretch though. I'm going by her own website. And I don't remember Casablanca being billed as a story about Africa. Tom Clancy mentioning the AT surely doesn't qualify.

—-"And that is perfectly fine. I give it a "C" myself. So why do you feel it is a poor book? Is it because you didn't like her? The writing style? Not what you anticipated? Honestly curious."

In large part, it is probably because I dislike the main character. She is dislikable. I don't mind flaws, but as I have previously mentioned, she has the same issues post hike. I didn't see any character growth. She recognizes her mistakes in her personal life, and repeats them. She really seems to be a crappy person. Her husband sticks by her and she treats him like crap again….after seemingly realizing she blew it.

She doesn't learn from her on trail experiences in what I would anticipate is a normal time frame. I don't like childish actions. She throws a boot away since she lost one? She doesn't lighten up despite knowing she needs to? When your pain is self inflicted, I have a hard time being sympathetic.

I thought the writing was pedestrian. But this is relatively normal for hiking books. I thought she went overboard with her writing. Shattered. You can't just say tired and depressed? I thought the language didn't flow and she tried too hard writing. I'm sure I had more complaints, but I ready it 2 years ago. I just left feeling bummed. I hope everybook I read it great. I went in with no expectations, it was just another PCT book I ordered to read in my free time. I have read all kinds of PCT books. Stories about the people, about the trail, about the internal journey. I don't have a favorite. Just didn't care for this book. I'd go 2/5.

"Good for you. Do you read the website Pitchfork on a regular basis and/or work in record store by any chance? :D"

Not at all! I'm just saying my reaction was not based on anything other than the actual writing. This feeds into your last reason I think. I have read better books. Even of the same kind of "journey".

I will admit my anti Wild book is stronger when confronted with fans of the book. The same way I get annoyed by Harry Potter love. I enjoyed the books, but adults thinking they are great writing is annoying… ;)

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

But I also love discussing books and debating their merits. I don't regret reading Wild. I do regret giving her money though. She seems to play up her tragedies and to me is a sorry individual. And now she has my money….

Reading and hiking are two passions of mine!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It's been over a year since I read the book. I thought the man she's married to now is different than the one she divorced in the book. I don't keep up with her personal life but was there an article or something indicating that she's fooling around on him? I guess I thought she got off the dope after the hike. I don't know her and what she does with her personal life is none of my business but the story is supposed to be about how the trail helped her transform her life. There's much less of a story here if that didn't happen.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Glad to hear you don't think the peace and quiet it ruined too much! I hope it's the same in a couple of years.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

>I doubt that many non-hikers get inspired to do the PCT, but some hikers who have thought >about it might be inspired to finally do it.

Maybe not hike the whole thing, but I m seeing a lot of interest in section hiking along the PC this summer. For many of the people I am talking to this will be their first exeprience at multiday backpacking.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Im talking about during the book. I have no idea or care what she did post hike.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Valerie E.
    "With respect, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to "dumb down" things in order to have a best seller"

I completley agree. Print media and Hollywood have a certain broad formula designed to catch as many viewer crossection as possible. Bourne Supremacy comes to mind.

In reality though, an audience can actually recognize and appreciate the originality of a film even if it is a bit technical and the subject matter is unfamiliar.
    Example: Das Boot.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I actually went to a book reading/signing of Wild with Cheryl Strayed. She read excerpts from Wild and from another book she wrote about being and advice columnist. It was a very entertaining evening.

She said that the PCT was a framework to help tell the other story and the book is about the other story, not really about the PCT. The PCT part was used to provide a framework for the themes of taking a journey and releasing a heavy burden. She also said some of the PCT part of the story was rearranged in order to set up this framework. It was all about telling the story of getting over her mother's death. It's not a trail journal.

It was interesting that the audience was evenly split among people interested in the hike part and people interested in either the relationship with her mom part or about becoming a writer. The Q&A section of the evening reflected this. Cheryl mentioned that out West more people are interested in the hiking part of the story and on the East Coast absolutely nobody is interested in that part of the story.

One thing I got from Cheryl was that her love of hiking and the wilderness is true and she was a regular hiker just like any of us who've hiked the PCT. She encouraged people to support wilderness.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

one thing you have to say about her is that she showed up with no experience, the wrong gear, too much gear, and she didn't give up. Wow, her chances of doing a long hike with that kind of a start are slim to none. She stuck it out, so hooray for her.

She did the hike (or portions of it), and wrote a book. She's good in my book. So many people in the U.S. are rich and famous and have done far less than Strayed. Need I mention the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, the Situation, Jan Wow or whatever her name is, and dozens of other reality show "stars". But Chumlee of Pawn Stars, he is either a comedic genius or the dumbest person in Nevada.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

"She also said some of the PCT part of the story was rearranged in order to set up this framework."

Sounds like it should be in fiction.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Well this has been interesting. I tried to read the book and admit to abandoning it maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through. I wanted to like it. On some level I never could identify or connect with the author. I've not hiked the AT or PCT. I have lost a parent who was my mentor, role model, friend and last buffer between me and my unhinged mother – and yet didn't descend to addictions of any flavor. I've not used heroin. I've not been promiscuous. I have been depressed. At some point however so much of her story hinges on the death of her mother, which I get, and her response, which I don't, it became difficult to read. I suppose I just didn't care enough about her fate to persevere to the end.

I understand it isn't a hiking book. I've read enough trail journals and blogs to recognize that a hiking book really about hiking is likely to be quite short. As someone early stated – walk, eat, sleep, poop. Repeat. Seriously – at some point, woke up, ate, walked, ate, slept, woke up, etc… can only carry you so far. There has to be something else to hang your hat on – the people being the most interesting thing. The psychological toll and physical toll are all there and consistent among many – perhaps it is much like endurance athletes and other achievements that take perseverance at the end of the day the attainment does not necessarily come with any sort of personal epiphany other than I did it and I'm glad it's done.

So I might watch the movie on Netflix … applaud the author for conquering her demons such as they are … but otherwise don't plan on reopening the book to finish it.

Here's a question for me – what kind of book set around a hike as the "vehicle" for narrative delivery would I want to read? Have to think about that – not a gear guide although the geek in me does like those details – but otherwise, hmmm…

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I can agree with a lot of that, I also read about 2/3 of it and just quit. Just couldn't connect with her about hiking or the story about finding herself. I kept thinking "Geez, put on your big girl pants already." I will probably watch the movie since it will be loosely based on hiking.

Ryan

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Did Reese Witherspoon use that movie to announce she is gay ?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Did Reese Witherspoon use that movie to announce she is gay ?"

I always thought she was kinda sad.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

"what kind of book set around a hike as the "vehicle" for narrative delivery would I want to read?"

The Way, with Martin Sheen, hiking the Camino de Santiago

Snow Walker, with Barry Pepper, survival in the Arctic with a native woman teaching him Indian survival knowledge

The Way Back, a group hikes from a Soviet gulag to Mongolia

The Edge, Anthonly Hopkins, Alec Baldwin, Alaska bush survival

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The Way Back, a group hikes from a Soviet gulag to Mongolia"

That's the title of the movie, based on "The Long Walk" by Slawomir Rawicz. A compelling read.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I really enjoyed the movie. Never read the book. Apparently Rawicz's story was questionable and questioned for decades, then definitively debunked a few years back, then it was suggested that the story was in fact stolen from someone else who claimed to have done something similar – so the controversy goes on again in the guise of an entirely different person.

Whether literally true about any actual group of people, the movie was good. Anything by Peter Weir is fantastic.

Weirdly, I have seen all 4 of those movies. They are all good in a different way. A really nice list.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/movies/wild-stars-reese-witherspoon.html

The New York Times just reviewed, 'Wild.' They like it. The following quote tipped me towards wanting to see watch it.

"In its thrilling disregard for the conventions of commercial cinematic storytelling, “Wild” reveals what some of us have long suspected: that plot is the enemy of truth, and that images and emotions can carry meaning more effectively than neatly packaged scenes or carefully scripted character arcs."

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I think a large part of my hatred for this book has to do with the set up my friend gave me – I was told it was about backpacking, and it is not. It's about a woman who needed therapy who puts on a backpack instead, and then proceeds to act out every impulse she has for 1000 miles or so. that felt like about a dozen pages of the book – the rest of it was whining about her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships and her mom and her relationships. Had the friend who recommended it told me the truth I would have enjoyed the book so much more by ignoring it and reading something else.

I will enjoy the movie a lot more than the book, by staying home and watching The Way or Touching the Void again, then visiting a forum for trip reports or reading a trail
    journal.

That she was a successful advice columnist says that at least she was able to shift gears to listen to whining instead of doing it as much.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools