Topic

gluten free trail baking help needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition gluten free trail baking help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Childs

@tchilds

Hello.

I have celiacs and absolutely can not eat any kind of gluten or anything packaged in a way that cross contaminates it with gluten. If I do I literally lose my mind, focus, and if the gluten is enough can put me in the emergency room.

Any gluten free baking mixes/recipes would be wonderful. I've been gluten free for a long time now but I don't know the first thing about gluten free trail baking.

In particular, I am looking for treats not really eats. The eats are covered :)

Gluten free bisquick seems to be the only baking mix I've come across that actually cooks up like the gluten infested counterpart. I have been experimenting but as you probably know this stuff isn't cheap and any recipes to save me money and time would be wonderful!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have had a lot of success with Betty Crokcer GF mixes – and they make a good all-purpose flour mix. My youngest son likes it because it isn't heavy or bean-y tasting. He has severe allergies, so its white rice base works well. I would figure you could dry and steam bake just fine with it. In fact, I bake with that mix and use Ener-G brand egg replacer for eggs (he is also allergic to eggs) and I happen to like the things I make with it – they taste similar to wheat based treats.

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Excellent. I will try this mix as the bisquick can be a bit grainy (in texture) to people not so accustomed to rice flour.

It is very hard to determine what to use because very few "from scratch" gluten free recipes include the tedious dozen+ dry ingredients to bake goodies for foodies.

I make pancakes from scratch (13 dry ingredients alone) but its hard for me to do this in such small quantities as for trail baking.

The BC mix is something I keep forgetting to pick up a box of. I will try their brownie mix and see if I can steam/dry hybrid bake them in a muffin tin liner. Thank you for the suggestion on the baking mix, I look forward to trying it!!! If your child enjoys this I'm sure it can't be far from its wheat counter part.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I keep hearing about people making pancakes from scratch. I've gone to the supermarket, and I've looked and looked, but I can't find a box of scratch.

–B.G.–

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

"I keep hearing about people making pancakes from scratch. I've gone to the supermarket, and I've looked and looked, but I can't find a box of scratch.
    "

You're looking in the wrong place. Go to the feed store and check the chicken section.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have wondered if the Betty Crocker GF brownie mix would pan fry up, like regular mix does – hmmmmmm……. :-) Ideas!

I got lucky and saw a huge sale on the baking flour mix, and stocked up. Otherwise, I have to do tedious mixing of GF flours, which most are pricey anyways!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools