Topic

Bearikade – Still not allowed some places?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bearikade – Still not allowed some places?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Is the Wild Ideas Bearikade still not allowed in some areas and parks like it was in the past, or have they resolved all of this now? I don't remember wear it was, but in the past remember reading a number of places that did not accept it as a bear can.

TIA

KJ

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Griz Country – Yellowstone, Tetons, ….

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Griz Country – Yellowstone, Tetons, …."

What _is_ allowed there?

–B.G.–

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Bear Vault. Garcia.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Not Bear Boxer?

–B.G.–

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Crap! So it still has restricted use. That stinks….looks like I'm stuck with my BV500. Was hoping they resolved all that and got approval by now.

KJ

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The bear boxer contender is also approved. So is the counter assault bear keg.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

lighter1 is also approved in griz country

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Bearikade has not passed the IGBC testing, per their Jan 2014 listing.

For a listing of all IGBC-approved food storage containers and the like, see pages 4 and later at:

http://www.igbconline.org/images/pdf/012314_products_list.pdf

Each national park can set their own requirements. Yosemite NP still lists the Bearikade Weekender and Expedition cans (1716 and higher) as approved for use in the park. SEKI usually follows the Yosemite guidelines.

Wish I knew why IGBC hasn't approved Bearikades. I assume they have been submitted for testing in the past.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"Wish I knew why IGBC hasn't approved Bearikades. I assume they have been submitted for testing in the past.

Wild Ideas did submit a "prototype" for testing.
    It failed.
    They feel they have all the market they need, and aren't interested in pursuing more.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Testing is a slow process, NPS addresses food storage devices like the FDA does with new medication. The Bearikade is approved in Denali NP, I've used it there and the Kenai so I'll keep using it everywhere until someone stops me with a ticket/fine.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"The Bearikade is approved in Denali NP…"

…Not currently –

From the Denali NP website

Bear Resistant Food Containers (BRFC) Approved for Use in Denali

The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) is the authority consulted for what products are and are not permissible in Denali.

If using your own BRFC, be prepared to show it to the BIC staff for approval before a permit is issued.

The following brands of BRFCs are approved for use on backcountry trips in Denali:

Backpacker's Cache by Garcia Machine
    Bear Keg by Counter Assault
    Contender 101 & 102 by The Bare Boxer
    BearVault models BV250 Solo, BV300, BV 350 Solo, BV 400, BV450 Solo and BV500

The following brands of BRFCs are NOT PERMITTED for backcountry use in Denali:

BearVault models BV100B, BV110B and BV200
    Ursack or ANY OTHER Kevlar, fabric or fabric-aluminum hybrid bear-resistant bag

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I called the office in Denali three different times and spoke to three different people, and all three told me I could bring my Bearikade. I also had an email chain that says the same thing.

It doesn't say it's approved…and it doesn't say it ISN'T approved.

Kinda like alcohol and esbit stoves during fire season……..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools