Topic

Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Exploring the Canyon of the Little Colorado

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    matt vogt
    Spectator

@mattvogt7

Some places leave in indelible mark on ones consciousness. Unmarked by esoteric boundaries and free of bureaucratic trappings (no fires, reservations due months in advance, visitor centers, pre-permit ranger talks, and hard firm well trod trails) these places expand our own conceptions of landscape and place. The canyon of the Little Colorado River is one such place.

Entering what we dubbed "Horse Canyon" from a small side drainage

Located on the extreme northwestern border of the Navajo Reservation the canyon has become de-facto wilderness, like much of the reservation landscape, simply by being located on the reservation. It’s a welcome respite from the oppressive (but necessary) reality of hiking in the National Park system and, increasingly, BLM lands in southern Utah.

"Horse Canyon" as it deepens before spilling into the Little Colorado

Following a graded gravel road west of Tuba City, AZ the entrance to the lower portion of the Little Colorado canyon can be found via the for lack of a better title “Horse Trail.” This said trail takes one through a ever growing side canyon before meeting with the main canyon of the Little Colorado River.

'shwack

I've visited this canyon now three times in three completely different ways. It may seem odd to keep revisiting a specific place each and every year, but every year I get something more from this canyon, I experience something new, I see something different.
    Kelly scoping our first view of the main gorge of the Little Colorado River.

Kelly scoping our first view of the main gorge of the Little Colorado River.

To be able to share it with a small group of friends and my father this time around made it special in a new way.

Crux move over old wood and rock bridge

Having an unhurried schedule (unlike last year's trip) allowed me to actually be able to look around and enjoy the canyon.

1st nights' camp

I do think there was more water this year – not a joy to drink but it can be done. Some of the group opted to carry up to 3.5 gallons up water on their backs just to avoid the turbid alkaline waters of the LCR.

View down canyon the first morning

Typical view in this seldom traveled corridor.

Blue Springs (below) is a special place. The hiking gets more creative from this point on as the previously small stream turns into a 2-300CFS fast flowing micro-river. Frequent crossings and swimming keep things fun.

Blue Springs - the source of water and unique color so well known to the Little Colorado River

I truly believe if this canyon where located somewhere else: ie. off the Reservation, it would be a classic to rival the Narrows of Zion.

The group continuing downstream

The cheap/easily punctured pool toys are a pain to inflate but make for fun travel in the deeper sections

Eventually, after several sections requiring floating of our packs, we leave them on our pool toys a

Below, the scenery is mind blowing

The first travertine - compare this little feature with the images further downstream as we approach

Jarrod and I – having hiked from Cameron to the confluence the previous year had talked about this one special campsite tucked into the base of the cliff where turquoise waters plunged over a myriad of travertines

View from second nights' camp

Not a bad spot to lay your head

The next morning, the 4(ish) miles to Salt Canyon – where we would exit – may be my most favorite of the whole walk. Frequent wide but shallow crossings in the deepest part of the gorge make for an out of this world experience.

The next morning making our way to Salt Canyon

Travertines grow in size - here with a small arch

Their must have been a massive flash flood earlier in the year as the river channel at Salt camp was very different from the previous two years.

The final crossing taking us to "Salt Camp"

After a quick shaded break Joe and I headed down-canyon from Salt Camp to the Hopi Sipapu – a site of spiritual significance to the Hopi Indians.

Joe at the Sipapu

Eventually we returned to Salt Camp in the late afternoon and decided to spend the shaded portion of the day making our way to the rim.

Slowly but surely

Cresting the first climb I noticed the marking (below) on one of the rocks. I've read that this trail was used by the Hopi Indians at one point for their annual salt pilgrimage. The actual Hopi Salt mines are somewhere on the banks of the Colorado River in Grand Canyon downstream from the confluence of the LCR and the Colorado. What I do not know is if they're still in use by traditional members? For more info a great read is Frank Waters "Book of the Hopi."

Hopi petroglyph?

As the sun was setting the hiking, though hard, was quite enjoyable

Gaining

Out of water and with little light left we spread our bags out on the slick rock bench pictured below at the base of the final climb

A nice slickrock bench makes for a final camp right at the base of the final climb

Awaking the following morning at first light extremely thirsty with empty water bottles we headed towards the rim.

Gettin' into it.  About half-way up the last climb

Another grouping of rock art. Would love to know if this route is still used by the Hopis and learn more about its significance and the meaning of these petrogylphs.

More Hopi(?) rock art

Finally making it to the rim – you can see a sliver of the turquoise LCR in center left. Appreciative of getting to hike the whole exit route in the shade!

Joe at the top, feelin good.

Original Trip Report can be found at my blog:
    https://matt-vogt-lsl5.squarespace.com/blog/2013/12/18/exploring-the-canyon-of-the-little-colorado

Mike Gervais
    BPL Member

@mikeg

Thanks for posting that.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Nice trip, Matt!

" Unmarked by esoteric boundaries and free of bureaucratic trappings (no fires, reservations due months in advance, visitor centers, pre-permit ranger talks… "

But did you get a permit from the Navajo Tribal Council??? I have heard that you are supposed to…

Or did you have a native American guide?

Quick Sand… I have considered doing a trip down there, but I almost always hike solo and the idea of quicksand is scary for solo… What do you think?

thanks,

Billy

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Wow, beautiful trip.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Thanks for sharing your report. Beautiful scenery and some interesting history on the significance of the area to the Hopi.

matt vogt
    Spectator

@mattvogt7

Hey Billy – so this is the third time I've been down there, each time in different fashion. I work on the Navajo Indian Reservation and the first time I hiked it was with a Navajo friend. I hiked the whole canyon from Cameron last year and did attempt to get a permit from the "parks" office outside Cameron. To be honest though, the ladies at the desk did not even know where the paperwork was so it didn't happen. Could have been a fluke but everything seemed to be ok. The trip posted above was sans permit, but the right answer is probably yes, try and get one.

I think you'd be fine in terms of hiking solo. The worst quicksand section is higher up canyon than explained in this post, about 10 miles down canyon from the small town of Cameron. It's been labeled by Kelsey as "Quicksand Alley." You'd be fine on this hike, very little quicksand and what's there is easily avoidable. I highly recommend it!

Thanks!
    Matt

matt vogt
    Spectator

@mattvogt7

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! I've been a long time lurker on BPL and finally decided to post.

Dave T

@davet

Wow.

Thanks for posting.

That looks like my kind of trip.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Matt,

What a wonderful trip report. Be careful, the area is starting to cause an addiction :)

Regarding your question about the rock art. We had a conversation here on BPL a couple years ago. Read my post (2nd from the bottom), you might find it interesting.

Rock Art

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

Great trip and report, Matt!

What dates were you down there?

Regarding the permits, I too live and adventure frequently on the Navajo Reservation and have really only purchased the $5/day recreation permits when running the San Juan River. Never been asked by any Navajo authority to show a permit, but would always ask at the nearest home-site for permission if you go through an inhabited remote area. That said, you can request permits by mail in advance by contacting the recreation office in Window Rock, AZ.

The link below is a slideshow/trip report by someone who kayaked the Little Colorado below Cameron at rare flood flows. Hiking out with a 45 lbs. kayak and conventional gear looked very tough and a great reason to follow BPL and learn about packrafting:

http://www.sierrarios.org/SlideshowPages/LCR.html

matt vogt
    Spectator

@mattvogt7

Nick – Thanks for that link, much appreciated and I will check it out!

matt vogt
    Spectator

@mattvogt7

Kevin – whoa lots here. First off you are in Gallup? Dude I'm in Fort Defiance and just got a packraft and am really looking for people to get out with in the area. Let me know if you ever want some company as I'm dying to use this boat (planning a March Dirty Devil trip as I type this).

Also, I agree, we're lucky to live so close to Window Rock to be able to pull permits. Growing up we'd always mail out requests when planning our Summer San Juan River trips to never here back. Now they can't just shred/slash the letter when I am in there in person. I actually was thinking someone resourceful could start a business by procuring Navajo Permits for disenchanted rafters planning their San Juan trips : )

Also, that sierra rios trip was the early initial catalyst for me getting down there. I dont have the kayak skills to run such an exposed piece of water but seeing his trips made me realize I really wanted to get down there, just by foot.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

PM Sent. Lets plan a trip. The Rio Puerco through Gallup also had some raging flood flows this summer, and I bagged a couple sand-wave riddled runs after years of diligent scouting (walked home from take-out thanks to BPL inspired gear). Sketchy safety though, and I think I might have finally aged-out of that type of run.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sheer magic. Makes me wish I lived closer.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Will be re-reading this with interest – I've always wanted to go there. In addition to being a major *historical* migration route for the native Americans, it is part of the Hopi mythology – their origins myth is that they came out of a hole in the ground located near the intersection of the Colorado and the little Colorado (like they needed *more* of a hole at that location) and came up into this (4th) world traveling up the little Colorado. This would most likely be the 'Hopi Sipapu' you mentioned. See any entrances to the underworld there?

For me that is enough reason to go there. LOL Now I have your report as a second reason.

PS. We need some chemist on here to figure out a way to treat the alkaline water found in many places in the Colorado plateau to make it moderately more drinkable. On the other hand I'm guessing it is the mineral content as much as the PH. So sad to have all that water near, and still have to schlep it.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: SE KS

Wonderful report Matt! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful area!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Really enjoyed this Matt.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Those emerald pools and waterfalls are beautiful. Thanks Matt!

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Good stuff Matt. Nice to see you in these parts.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Matt,

Thanks for sharing your trip and putting up the great photos.

Really amazing to see canyons like that and terrain that is so different to what I am used to in the Sierras.

Would be amazing to be able to hike a few miles down a gentle river by foot.

What an experience!

Tony

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Awesome pictures!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Matt,

Gorgeous pictures! I've never been anywhere like that but would love to some day.

While it wouldn't do anything for the pH, Chlor Floc
    should help some with the sedement.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I think the balancing the PH is actually the easiest part! That is a cool idea, I never heard of that stuff. Where are the comprehensive BPL review tests of methods – this would be a great topic. Possibly the SUL philosophy, however, would just be "just drink it you damn

."

We could try testing methods here in CA – anyone want to mail us some buckets of water from the Colorado and Green rivers?

According to some of the reviews of this stuff the removal of sediment does work, although some people have used this in what I would call a "questionable" ways – removing sediment out of wine, for instance. Reminds me of my waitress friend who used to tell me in horror about yuppies customers coming in to the restaurant, ordering 30 year old Glenlivet, and then pouring it through a portable filter. LOL

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Mark,

My experiences with Chlor Floc is that it does a good job of removing sediment but there was a definite chlorine taste after treating the water. Besides the taste, the other down side is that the shelf life is only a year or two.

If you're truly interested in trying some, PM me your address and I could mail you a couple packets gratis.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

On raft trips down the Colorado in Grand Canyon, we are prepared to drink main river water if clear side creeks aren't available.

Downstream of Glen Canyon Damn, if the river is muddy brown, it's from the Pariah or LCR. You need to settle the sediment, then kill the nasties. I would not trust one-step solutions like Chlor-Floc for many reasons.

Settling muddy water overnight in a bucket helps a lot. If you don't have time for that, a teaspon of alum powder in a 5-gallon bucket will clear the water in 30-60 minutes. Then you treat with your favorite filter, chemical or boiling. Otherwise the sediment helps keep the nasties alive by clogging your filter, neutralizing the chemicals, or providing safe havens.

The alkalinity and minerals help toughen you up. And your kidneys. I recommend drinking lots of beer to flush out the minerals. Might have to wait until after the trip.

— Rex

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!