Topic

Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I tried it but couldn't get over the soapy taste. I think my mom made me lick too much of it as a kid. It's a gag reflex that takes me back to the unhappier times of punishment as a kid.

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

If you taste soap, you are using too much. I use 2-3 small drops and don't ever taste soap. The few times I have put more than that, I do taste soap.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

Works for me. Little soap taste. Sensation of having a clean mouth afterward. I brush for a long time believing that mechanical action is what actually cleans teeth and disperses plaque. The toothpaste or soap or bicarb or whatever is for good luck.

Some dentists warn that bicarb of soda is too abrasive. Others are silent on this important matter.

Just to be on the safe side, I also floss (mechanical) and run a toothpick tip around all the margins of my gums (mechanical). Doing this thorough tooth drill once a day has successfully maintained the health of my teeth and gums. Doing this in the wilderness is no harder than in a modern bathroom.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I found it to taste pretty horrible.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just after brushing my teeth with Dr. Bonner's I take out my Microspikes and flail my back until I get some blood splatter going.

(I'm doing pennance for not being a SUL backpacker.)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Why do you guys carry toothpaste backpacking? I brush without it all the time.

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Interesting talk! Is he really advocating for everyone to carry bear spray anytime one is in bear country? Including all black bear country?

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

It's been awhile since I watched that video, but I think I recall his research being in grizzly country in Alaska. I think that was the context for most of his talk.

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Oh ok, makes sense. Awesome talk though, he mentions Stephen Herreo's (sp?) book, that's a good one.

Bryan Oliphint
    BPL Member

@hottub

Locale: Southeast Texas

Ever read the fine print? The good doctor was off his rocker. I'm not putting any product in my mouth from that house of crazy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"DR Bronners causes premature aging.
    ( see if you can spot that on the label)
    Since using it I look at least 10 years older.
    It works but keep this in mind."

Stop smiling, you'll look 10 years younger again…..

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't get it. My understanding of toothpaste is that it provides a polish, a fine grit, to remove the plaque that builds up, and some flavoring to make the process more pleasant. If you believe the ads, you might kill some bacteria and get some whitening along the way.

So what is soap going to do, other than taste bad? I tried it and would much rather go with salt, baking soda, a prepared tooth powder, or my current option, a small vial of gel toothpaste.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools