Topic

Organ Pipe Cactus Wilderness (& SoCal) questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Organ Pipe Cactus Wilderness (& SoCal) questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Looks like I may be driving round-trip between the San Francisco Bay Area and Tucson.

I'm thinking of visiting Organ Pipe Cactus Wilderness while going one direction; and perhaps Joshua Tree or somewhere in the the Mojave on the return.

Favorite time to go? When do the flowers bloom? I will go whenever I get a work window between around Dec 15 and April 15, but more likely on the front end of that (Dec-Feb).

What can you folks tell me about the Organ Pipe? Sure, I understand there is an issue there with illegals. It appears that overnight backpacking might not be allowed at all? If so, I would need to identify somewhere to car-camp, and do a couple of nice moderate (5-15 mile) dayhikes. Your favorites?

I've already been to Joshua Tree, so I'm considering visiting somewhere new for me instead, such as Mojave National Preserve, which may have the benefit of being lower in elevation (thus warmer at night in winter) as well. I might prefer it to be a place where I can stitch together at least a 1-night backpacking trip, especially if Organ Pipe won't present the opportunity to do anything more than car-camp.

Is there a destination I'm overlooking? I've wandered around Anza Borrego and up on San Jacinto Mountain, but have been almost nowhere else in far southern CA.

– Elizabeth

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools