Topic

ULA Ohm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Ohm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I used my Ohm recently on a 4 day trip. Carry weight was approx. 24lbs (close guess) and I did carry 3.6 liters of water on a semi-dry stretch.
    The pack carried very well, with little, to no discomfort. I did have the hip-belt load stabilizer straps slide down off the hip-belt though.
    Other than this, I really didn't have any issues, and like this pack, very much, except for the stabilizer strap issue and the 3/4" wide hip-belt webbing, which although felt and preformed well, I still don't really care for.

So, I did a mod to the hip-belt webbing, removing the yellow hip-belt pocket webbing and the stabilizer straps.

I then used 1.5" nylon webbing. First sewing the 3/4" stabilizer straps level to the top edge of the 1.5" hip-belt webbing. I sewed a loop in the stabilizer straps, to attach the hip-belt pockets too.

Next I sewed the 1.5" hip-belt webbing straps onto the hip-belt wings, set approx 1-1/2" back. I plan to use the old style contoured, dual pull 1-1/2" hip-belt buckle.

Its too early to tell, if these mods will be better or not. But for some reason, I just thought this would be better than the existing hip-belt, which may or may not turn out to be an improvement.

I did load the pack with 16lbs to test the Stabilizer straps, and they now do not, slide off the hip-belt.

Most will probably like the hip-belt just the way it is though.

Note: these issues may be exclusive for me personally, where other Ohm users may not find any merit with the "minor" issues that I've found.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

My Ohm just arrived , and I would like to know which pads other Ohm owners are using for the backpadding. Links are appreciated =)

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

I cut a section of a Ridge Rest pad, the same width and length as the back panel of the Ohm.
    I also taper cut the sides on the end that goes against the bottom (Lumbar region), which seems to give me a better wrap around my hips, with the hip-belt.
    A 4 section Z-rest works good too, folded in 1/2, which is close to the same width as the Ohm.
    I've got 9 days use on my Ohm, and it now seems to be the pack I always turn to, for trips up to 5 days in duration. I could probably go a week with it, but would probably use my Circuit instead?

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

I've got a Thermarest Prolite Plus Small size. I packed it in the burrito style and it worked out very well. I would squeeze most of the air out that I could by just bear hugging the pad. A couple times I left too much air in the pad and it made getting my stuff down inside a bit tricky. You can always open the valve and add a bit of air if you don't think the pack is stiff enough. I may experiment on the next trip w/ folding it in thirds to try and utilize the pack's pad straps. The sleeping bag tends to pop out the bottom of the roll and push the pad upwards, which consumes space in the extension collar. I think some people just put the bag in first and then set the rolled pad on top. Even poorly packed, I have to say the Ohm carried very well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

any chance you could post pics of the mods you did to the Ohm? have you had a chance to use it in this configuration? better?

the straps do look awfully thin (from pics at the website).

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Michael and Lucas, thanks so far. Do I understand it correctly that you just use the pads for the back and have an extra sleeping pad with you? Because 4 sections of the Z-Rest seem awfully short to sleep on ;) And Burrito Style, I guess, means, you just have it in a circle/ round in the pack?

I am looking for a solution in which I can use the back pad also as a sleeping pad, or at least part of it. 4 sections of the Z-Rest combined with a NeoAir in S should do the trick, I guess.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Hendrik,
    In my Ohm I use a generic closed cell foam (CCF) pad 0.5x19x40 (inches) folded in thirds. The 1.5" standoff from my back is not an issue as it compresses somewhat. It provides more than enough padding.

I sleep on a Big Agnes Clearview and the CCF provides the additional insulation during near freezing conditions as well as a sit-pad around camp.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Yes,
    I can try to take some pics of my hipbelt mods and post a link to them, unless someone here wants to talk this computer dummy through the process of posting the pictures directly here.

As for the back panel pad, mine is used for a sit pad and upper torso pad. I currently sleep on a Neo-Air.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

yeah, just roll the mattress up and shove it down in there and then let it expand to fill the compartment. my only problem w/ this has been the 48" pad has my ankles/heals on the ground and it wakes me up sometimes. A couple of options I'm considering:

1. Cutting a piece of Ridge Rest (I have this already) to provide ankle/feet support.
    2. Getting a full length GG Evazote Pad and putting a Torsolite or Thermarest Prolite XS under my boney shoulders and hips.
    3. Using a piece of Thinlight 1/8" like in option 1.

I'm trying to keep bulk down w/ my Ohm, as I plan on using it exclusively for short and long hikes. I'd be curious to hear from anyone that's tried the burrito w/ a CCF pad and whether it consumes too much space inside for the rest of your gear.

Michael, you are not alone on the hipbelt issue. Mine slide off the padded portion of the hipbelt and cause the pack to ride differently. I have to readjust periodically to resolve this. I may just bar tack some webbing loops over the existing webbing to keep it in place on the padding. The Ohm is just too good of a pack for a little thing like this to ruin it.

Jared Slucter

@jslucter

Locale: CA

Lucas,
    I pack my Ohm burrito-style with a torso length Ridgerest. I can’t fit my sleeping bag horizontally without feeling like I am crushing the living daylights out of it so instead I pack it vertically. I am able to stuff all of my clothes down next to the bag, and I have tons of room on top of that for all of my gear. On the JMT in June/July I ended up strapping my bear canister to the top of the pack since a BV500 won’t quite fit horizontally in the pack. With the Ridgerest and all of my gear plus about 2 days of food (no canister) fills the pack without extending into the collar. The Ohm is freakishly solid with the CCF burrito pad frame.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I have a full length thermarest that I fold up and secure into place on the inside of the pack against my back with those nifty elastic pad keeper straps.

But that neo-air is calling to me….

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

I hadn't really thought about it. But, I should note that I do not use my sleeping bag stuff sack. I just stuff it down in the pack and let my gear compress it down. I think that it "fills" the empty space better that way.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'm looking at this pack (and already have a Neoair)- what's the smallest (and thinnest) back pad you can get away w/ and still be comfy?

Is there a sleeve for the pad (kind of like a hydration sleeve)?

I could possibly go to a shorter Neo and use what's against my pack under my lower legs.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

On the ULA Ohm site they say you could even use an inflatable pad, without or with minmum inflation, as the back pad. Currently , like Mike, I have a TAR Prolite 4 in Regular in those nifty back pad holders – very comfortable. I assume you might be able to do the same with a NeoAir, but as I haven't got one yet I can't guarantee it.

Some people said they use a GG NightLight pad, but I also have seen the GG Thinlite mentioned – latter is out of stock atm.

I would go with the Thinlite + NeoAir.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

After having used the Ohm for awhile now and depending upon what type of pad for ground use I'm using, I find that I usually end up using just a GG SitPad with the waffle side toward my back in the Ohm. Comes in handy for actually sitting on when not in the pack. I try to keep the distance between my back and the gear in the pack to a minimum, and use the compression feature to it's maximum. Even when using a longer pad I definitely don't want more than 3/4" of padding between me and the gear.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that sounds perfect- a mere 1.5 oz and like you said can use as a sit pad (I imagine can even stick under your feet if using a shortie pad)

how does the pad sit in the pack? sleeve? straps? nothing?

thanks

Mike

John Haley

@quoddy

Mike… There is a semblance of a slot in the pack, but not the same as a regular pad slot. I just place the pad in the pack first and then begin packing, while taking a little care not to move the pad too much while loading. As long as it's close to centered , that's all that's necessary.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

OK gotcha- thanks

B. F.

@thrush

The Ohm is a great pack! You can order

"Interior Backpad 1.1 oz / $5.00 / Removable 1/4" foam backpad positioned in the interior pad sleeve. Provides additional comfort. Does not enhance load transfer. Pack Compatibility: Conduit and Ohm"

right at the ULA Website. This backpad is quite thin and slim and no EVA but another material, so I recommend using a 6-section Z-Lite instead wich fits perfectly and is comfortable to sleep on. You can fix all your paddings (whatever you chose) with the "Internal Pad Holster" (two straps of elastic). If you wish I can post a picture of what it looks like.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I've been thinking of buying this pack but I didn't know it required a foam pad for structure until I started reading this thread.

I'm a little confused because the description on the ULA site says the Ohm has "full suspension (active)". It also says: "Combining a 1.2 oz carbon fiber/delrin active suspension hoop and exceptional compression, the Ohm maximizes load control, load transfer, pack compression, and overall pack rigidity in an ultralight package."

To me that sounds like the Ohm has an internal frame of some sort. I use a torso length NeoAir. Am I reading this thread correctly that I will also need a closed cell foam pad of some type to give this pack structure?

Thanks for the help,
    Gordon

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Gordon,

No pad is needed for load transfer in the Ohm. The carbon stays & hoop work well.

I think people are simply describing what they do with their sleeping pads or what they use for padding against their backs.

I use a 1/4" piece of closed cell foam cut to fit between the stays. In camp it gets used as a sit pad.

Dan

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I really am waiting for Brian to make it in small. I had a S/M Circuit which was too long for me and I sold it. I'd buy a small size Ohm. Casey told me she'd add me to the list of people wanting a small. C'mon Brian, limp over to the workbench and make it happen!! (Just joking- get well)

cheers,
    fred

John Haley

@quoddy

Gordon…

A pad is not needed for structure at all, but I find that a thin pad between the gear and my back make's the Ohm extra comfortable. You can certainly get by without one. Packing burrito style with a longer pad such as the TorsoLite or MB UL seems to enhance the pack structure slightly

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

John, you always could try a Medium. I think, depending on your height, it might be the correct size. I am 175cm tall/ 51cm back and have a large Ohm, which fits superb. Anyhow, you will need to wait till December.

I decided to take some photos (excuse the flash) to show how the Ohm looks from the inside. First off are the two straps which keep the back pad in place:

ULA Ohm

That's a TAR Prolite 4 in Regular in there, not the optimal back pad in UL standards but its mightily comfortable when carrying. Till I change it for a Z-Lite and NeoAir that's gone be how I carry it.

ULA Ohm

A view inside from top till bottom. There's enough space there to get all my gear plus three – probably more – days food in there. Its a huge pack.

ULA Ohm

The TAR in Burrito Style.

Gordon, you wouldn't need a CCF Pad but it might enhance the comfortability if carrying. You might even get away with the Neoair, if you fold it in a way that you can use it as a back pad – though I am not sure if that is the best use.

There's more photos and insight on my blog.

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Locale: Northeast US

Gordon,

I just got off the trail with my Ohm and a torso length NeoAir. The pad works perfectly as a backpad in the Ohm when folded in half twice, and the frame of the pack gives it more than enough structure. You shouldn't be the least bit worried about it. The pack is excellent.

Emmett

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools