Topic

Things we did while mom was gone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Things we did while mom was gone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

A must read for any parent, this post by Craig W had been on my mind ever since.

Left to our devices

Recently, when my wife was out of town for a week, I took the opportunity to have some one on one (one on two?) time with the girls, spending as much time outdoors as possible. As Craig would say (probably much more eloquently)- nothing epic to see here. Just kids having fun.

hills
    Championship hill rolling at a local park after school

The highlight of the week was an overnight camping trip to Nordhouse Dunes.

The hike in

I carried all the gear and the girls carried their personal stuff and snacks. While I skimp on my own gear, I don't bother counting weight when it comes to camping with the kids. I'd rather they be happy than ultralight. Between the princess sleeping bags and the multiple changes of clothes, I was grateful for the expedition pack my wife had bought a couple years ago. I did draw the line at all of the stuffed animals I found bulging out of Rowan's pack. (I knew I'd be carrying it too at some point). "No one needs 5 stuffed animals on a camping trip", I advised helpfully. "Why don't you pick your favorite two". "I need 5 stuffed animals to help me sleep", she assured me.

Deer tracks

Nearing the dunes, rest break number 6

One big sandbox

The Lake Michigan shoreline

23b
    The girls changed into bathing suits and played in the sand while I set up camp behind the tree line

Running in circles

Heading back toward our campsite

Dubiously studying the bush buddy hot dog cooker

Shared mac and cheese

Mesmerized

The well-used princess sleeping bags

Shadow puppets and story time

After making up some stuff sack pillows for the girls, there were no spare clothes for mine. Once the girls fell asleep, I sneakily snagged a stuffed bunny, "Cuddles", and propped it under my head. Guess Rowan was right about these things helping you sleep after all.

A beautiful sunrise

An overenthusiastic headlamp user writes on the beach with a genuine feather quill

Leaving the shoreline

A last look back

Stopping to rest at the perfect rest stop. Too bad we had only been hiking for 3 minutes. "It has a bench, backrest, and footrest, dad!" Fine with me. While my own trips are highly goal-oriented, I try to have no agenda when it comes to hiking with the kids. If their trip is better for taking advantage of the 20 most perfect rest stops on the trail, or studying a deer track, touching a toad, or picking blueberries, them mine is too for getting to watch them light up with unbridled enthusiasm at the experience.

As we drove home, I asked the girls what their favorite part of the trip had been. "Getting to spend time with Daddy", my youngest daughter answered. "When can we go camping again?"

Success

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Great stuff Ike! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, you owe me a disc….. :-)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

My heart is smiling. Thanks for sharing this experience.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Wonderful trip report Ike! Thanks for sharing this.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Excellent!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Wishing you many more happy family times, this report is magic.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Excellent stuff. You are building great family memories. I'm sure the girls can't wait to do it again.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The first photo is perfect childhood.

Cheers Ike.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Lucky girls — thank you for posting (one of your rare posts without snow or ice)

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Delightful! And your girls will remember this with joy the rest of their lives!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, that made MY morning! Thanks, Ike. I almost feel 5 years old myself again looking at these pictures.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Choices as parents are many. Spend a small fortune on theme parks, water parks, sporting events, video games, or take a romp into wild places. Rachel Carson said it best.

“A child’s world is fresh and new and beautiful, full or wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful and awe-inspiring, is dimmed and even lost before we reach adulthood. If I had influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life, as an unfailing antidote against the boredom and disenchantment of later year…the alienation from the sources of our strength.”
    ― Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Very pleasant. Excellent post trip report. Thanks for posting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!