Topic

golite hex 3 for expedition use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) golite hex 3 for expedition use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Henry Liu

@henryliu

Anyone try using the Golite Hex 3 for expedition use long term as a tent replacement? I'm trying to decide between this and a much more expensive Stephensen 2C. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

A few years back I ran into a AT through hiker who had been using it as his primary shelter for entire trek, don't see why not. Have used this tent since 2002 as my sole winter shelter with little signs of wear.
    What type of expedition are you thinking of taking this on?

Henry Liu

@henryliu

I was trying to use it for big mountaineering expeditions, 7000m or 8000m peaks.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Would not hesitate, but that's just my 2 cents. Had friends use a Betamid on Denali a few years back and that worked great for them. Would use a bivy for condensation build up and occasional interior frost storms that happen in cold conditions. Space is good for two with gear, have slept 3 without gear but it was a bit tight. Have used this shelter in pretty extreme conditions and it has never let me down, highly recommend it.
    Best of luck
    Jim

Henry Liu

@henryliu

Your friends that used the betamid in denali never had problems with winds? Also, how many stakes is minimum for a good hold? Does a trekking pole work fine or do you need to use the included pole. Any other disadvantages/advantages over a traditional tent? Thanks.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

With the Hex usually stake out all 11 stake out loops (ALOT of stakes) this past winter had a fair amount of success using SMC snow stakes and Kelty trip tease to tie off on rocks or downed branches. Never carry the pole that came with Hex, instead have used the pole extender which works great.
    On summit trips have staked out and have covered perimeter in snow to help with wind.
    Denali trip friends built snow walls and dug out underneath for more space and worked out really well.
    Attached images show Hex on summit with snow built up on top of perimeter. Wind was aprox. 45-55 mph and was fine in the morningHex in the windhex on summit

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

So if you are going on an expedition to a 7000-8000m peak, why risk it? The expense and consequences of the hex failing seem high.

Expedition implies heavy…

Also the energy spend fortifying the hex, digging in the floor, building walls etc might be better spent simply resting at high altitude.

Hex's and mids are great base camp shelters but when the snow and wind starts dumping things get spicy..

I'd be thinking, BD firstlight, hilleberg Nallo 2, bibler etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!