Topic

Contrail modification

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Contrail modification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I recently bought the Contrail and will be using it up in Glacier next month. In the meantime, I have seam sealed it with Permatex sealer and set the tarp up in my back yard for the past several days with it enduring some heavy rain storms. A bit of a learning curve to get the sides right but overall, the tarp did exceptionally well. Just a few drops of water, which I will reseal. But my question is this: has anyone done any modifications for the rain that spatters in from under the vestibule? I was thinking of creating maybe a small silnylon curtain over the door…or something to just keep the rain from under the vestibule?

Thanks!

Rocco Speranza
    BPL Member

@mechrock

Locale: Western NC Mtns

I haven't got to try it yet for rain, but I put my Zpacks rain kilt infront of the door and was able to block the wind out fairly well. It doesn't quite reach all the way across, but it works mostly well.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I had a Contrail for several seasons so understand the vestibule shortcoming a little. However I've never had rain actually splash into my DOOR!, especially when I had it rigged "flat" (W/O a pole guyline beneath it pulling it out).

Your best option is to add about a strip of silnylon to your vestibule hem. It still needs to have a curved hem to keep it taut when staked out in the "flat" front mode.
    If you do this be sure to shingle the added strip so it is sewn beneath the original hem.

** If you decide you will ONLY deploy the vestibule peaked out with the guyline beneath it you will need to add a wider silnylon piece to get the desired effect but you will not be able to get the vestibule taut if the door is in a flat mode, plus the added material will be touching the ground as well.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

For August in Glacier, you have little worry of rain, especially as it's shaping up to be a dry year.

Not that this necessarily solves your issue, just that it may take some of the pressure off of figuring it out quickly.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I have to say, I was surprised to find it all wet under the vestibule and on the mesh. I thought maybe placing some silnylon on the mesh door, like a flap about maybe 6" up from the bottom at the zipper, similar to those net tent inserts for tarps that everyone uses. The sides were just fine in both storm and regular mode. It really is a sweet piece of gear.

Thanks for the info about Glacier. Now the pressure IS off. *phew*

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools