Topic

anti slip on Neoair.. Silnet or SeamGrip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) anti slip on Neoair.. Silnet or SeamGrip?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

title says it all.. which would be better to use? i have a tube of both

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I used silicone on mine :

YouTube video

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I've tried the seamgrip / silnet solution with little to no success. What I've done in recent years is take along my GG 1/8" thinlight pad. The stuff is really grippy! I plan this year to cut it down to a torso size to fit my NeoAir Xtherm. Should weigh around 1.5 oz. I plan to use velcro to attach it to the pad.

Advantages of CCF underneath NeoAir:
    (i) prevent punctures
    (ii) prevent slipping on tent floor
    (iii) boost R value

At about $10 and little weight (1.5-2.5 oz depending on how much you want to trim), it's been the best solution I've found yet. If you really wanted to save weight, you could add strips of the thinlight stuff to your pad by using adhesive velcro or glue.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

hmm i could try that too. i have a torso size and smaller sized 1/8th" from Lawson. I can use the smaller size in the summer when the extra R value coverage isnt needed.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I have the same problem with my NeoAir XLite on top of a Polycryo inner I made for my Hexamid twin. The thing slides like crazy.

Dots or thin lines of SilNet seam sealer didn't work? That was my plan. :-(

I'd have to get two torso sized thinlight pads for my wife and me.

Inquiring minds want to know. Wind River Range in 7 weeks!

:-D

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Did you guys cut it or use 100% seam grip dots?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The one you see in my video had thick stripes with the silicone at about the same consistecy as you get with Sil Net.
    Recently I did two All Season with a much diluted mix and therefore thinner stripes, worked well with the striped silnylon floor.
    Some use a piece of the anti slip mat used under carpets or on shelves .

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Great thread. Thanks! I have a slightly different problem…keeping the sleeping bag from slipping off the mat.  I was watching a trail vlog (can’t find it now) where someone had applied seam grip (or something similar) in coin size swirls on a thermarest neoair to prevent the sleeping bag from slipping off. I would like to try something like this with a neoair uberlite. Any success with this? If so, what product did you use and how was it applied?

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I have tried both seam-grip and and Silnet – and they both seem to loose their tackiness.  How about Permatex flowable windshield sealant? I have used that to seam-seal tarps and it seems to retain its tackiness longer. Maybe nothing really works great because if it is tacky enough to do the job eventually dust will adhere to it and it will lose its tackiness.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’ve tried the seamgrip / silnet solution with little to no success. What I’ve done in recent years is take along my GG 1/8″ thinlight pad.

This worked for me at Philmont. There were 0 flat tent spots and while it wasn’t perfect, the Thinlight pad did a pretty good job of keeping my pad from sliding on my Dyneema floor.

I briefly had a tent with a silnylon floor and the lines of seam sealer did not help prevent sliding.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

I use cam snaps to attach some things together. … I bet 2-4 could be applied to floor, pad and sleeping bag for slippage . I attach the male and female to pieces of Cuben fiber tape with the backing still on, then stick it where it’s needed. That way you don’t have to compromise material with sewing. It could work for a squirrely pillow too…

instead of cams one might use the stick on loops like from Zpacks with a small piece of a shock cord and cord lock to cinch the loops together… just ideas

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Just a side not about silicone dots, if someone chooses to go that route.  I do custom tile work. To apply tiles on a wall or ceiling I use a circular pattern, like a bullseye target, that way when I press the tile onto the surface the air in the circle gets pushed out creating a vacuum effect(like a suction cup) which makes the tile stay in place even upside down. Maybe a Similar concept would be beneficial in this application with many small circles of silicone instead of dots or wavy pattern. I used wavy pattern of my neoair in the past but have since peeled it all off because it lost its stick… again just ideas to kick around

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

I’m so sorry to ransack this thread but I had another idea that might work… :)

you know those anti-slip mats that you see in kitchen cupboards or inside drawers. They are kind of a grid pattern and are super grippy (but not sticky) Perhaps those, cut into strips or squares or other shapes you like and adhered to the bottom and top of pad with silicone in strategic places…

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I just went through this with my new Uberlite pad. I was slipping and sliding on it with nothing. First I tried dots of silicone from a flowable windshield silicone tube.  I let them cure over night- and then they would rub right off!  I tried again with dots of Seam Grip and the dots stayed on the pad.  I applied dots for about 5 rows around shoulder height, hip height and at the feet- on both sides.  I’m about to use it next week in the field, but so far Seam Grip is much better than Silicone on an Uberlite pad.  I seem to recal sticking some loops on to N X-Lite pad with Seam Grip, too.

Scott

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

It didn’t go so well for this guy… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Y88U3RWD8 Uberlite material is “pure, like a newborn’s skin, nothing will stick”…LOL

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Another idea. Dress the pad up in a T-shirt? A cheap T-shirt dress would give more coverage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZTf8_NS-k

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools