Topic

Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Torso Simulator to test Heat Loss in Outdoor Gear – Radiation

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I'll send a piece out sometime this week.

I have a NeoAir I use sometimes (it's narrow and a little loud, as well as longer than I need). I sleep with that silver side down, so I suppose an aluminized bivy would just duplicate the NeoAir's radiant barrier–prob. add nothing.

I just got a Exped SynMat UL 7 that I think I'll like a lot more than the NeoAir–I don't think it has a radiant barrier, so maybe an aluminized bivy or groundsheet would add something.

Or maybe just look shiny.

Brian Crone
    BPL Member

@bcrone

Hey Jerry,

Great write up. Check out this recent research from Stanford that addresses and confirms some of your findings. The possabilities for using nanomaterials for creating breathable reflective materials are very interesting.

http://rexresearch.com/cuinanoagwire/cuinanoag.html

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

interesting article, thanks

if you have gaps of 300 nm, it will pass water vapor like they said, but maybe it would also be waterproof?

In order for this work, the reflective surface has to be on the outside.  Any silver in the fabric wouldn’t do much.  I wonder if the clothing looks silver colored?  But if there are gaps of 300 nm, and the fibers are also 300 nm, this is less than visible wavelengths, so…

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools