Topic

hyperlight mountain gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hyperlight mountain gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I dont know if this is common knowledge but I just recieved a card that says if you use the "SPRING2013" cupon code before 6-30-13 upon checking out you can Save 10%.

10% is a pretty good deal for expensive gear.

The card asked that I share with my friends. Thats you.

Mike Stromsoe

@phstudio

Locale: So. Cal.

I just ordered an Echo Tarp and a 2400 Windrider Southwest pack today. Within a half hour I got the shipping notification. Wow! Simply amazing for a "cottage industry" manufacturer.

I'm an impatient, want my stuff now, kinda guy. It would have killed me to wait 8-12 weeks if I had ordered comparable gear from another company. Plus I leave for a thru hike in less than 2 weeks, so I would have been SOL.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Got the tarp today as promised. I gave it a good look over. The tarp is very well constructed has a nice feel for the weight. speaking of weight:

stuff sack- .4
    guy lines- 1.9
    tarp- 9.4
    Total=11.7

Site says 10.6 for tarp with guys and 8.6 for just tarp. So to me they nailed it. They got within an ounce of the shelter weight and hooked me up with extra guy line(about double). It looked like a lot of guy line when I opened it. I have typically used much less. but I can always use extra guy line and I don't have to carry it.

I going to learn some new knots I want to try then set it up. I've never had a tarp with buckles.

scree ride

@scree

Checking out my new Porter for the last few hours. Excellent quality. The heavier cuben bottom I ordered has more of a spectra look to it. Appears it will wear quite nicely. While I was originally looking for a smaller pack, the 4400 compacts pretty small. It's lighter than my daypack and may even get used instead. Folding the collar in half inward makes for fewer rolls on the top and even more compactness. I like the extra width of the 4400, but I could have possibly had the collar cut down as I probably won't use it much. When extended though it may have a place in shading the sun. Sort of like a canopy, it folds over my hat when empty. Might even work to keep the rain off.
    The lumber support seems to be right on for those with bad backs. I have extreme wear between my 3rd and 4th vertebra. As someone mentioned about the Z packs, they actually help the back. I feel this one will as well. I'll see once I get weight in it.
    I appreciate the suggestion from Luke to get it as well comments from Chris, Davey and others who already own one. Also Mike at HMG for putting up with all my e-mails.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

nm

Josh Brock

@needsabath

This thing is huge!!! and weighs 3oz more than my 5×8 sil tarp. Going to add that sea 2 summit bug net and Im set!! The Tarp offers more than enough tie down spots to secure it tight easily.

If you like flat tarps like me and want tons of coverage for well under a pound this is the tarp for you.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Hey Josh
    Which Sea to Summit bug net are you planning to use? I have the one person Nano for my Ultamid and really like it so far.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hey Davey, don't be an idiot. I'm not trolling, just posting my thoughts which I thought it what these forums are for. Forgive me for voicing an opinion. Just because you are an HMG sycophant doesn't mean others can't have doubts about their quality control based upon the experiences of others (regardless of their own conclusions).

Perhaps my initial post was a bit flip, and I certainly didn't intend it to be detrimental to the manufacturer's reputation. As I said, it sounds like they make great products, have great customer service, and could have slightly tigher QC procedures. I mean how hard it is to visually check that a pack is 100% when you are sending it out as a replacement for a faulty one? Whether or not that was irritating for the customer who experienced is irrelevant, it would certainly irritate me.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

"The lumber support seems to be right on for those with bad backs. I have extreme wear between my 3rd and 4th vertebra. As someone mentioned about the Z packs, they actually help the back. I feel this one will as well."

Hmm…is there a reason I should consider the Porter instead of the Windrider/Southwest? Is the lumbar support better in the Porter? I really only need 45-50 L of volume, but good support is welcomed since I have low back issues.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

nm

scree ride

@scree

not sure, but the way I understand it is that the 3400 and the 4400 have the same shoulder straps, stays, and belt with the Ice pack having a removable belt. The 2400 WR/SW having smaller belts and 2400 Porter the same as the 34 and 44. The 4400 has some kind of plastic reinforcement for over 50 pounds.
    Volume is calculated with one roll at the top. The 4400 rolled all the way down, in Mikes estimate was is around 2000 c.i. I'd say a little more.
    I chose the Porter due to simplicity. No pockets to rip or compress. As I was hoping, it also compacts pretty well and as I said, it may well replace my day pack. It's lighter.
    I'm still in the transitional stage. Conventional wisdom says to get your gear first. With the Porter, with it's versatility, I don't feel I have to worry about it. It will make a good transitional pack with only a couple ounce penalty. If I ever do decide that it's too big, they sell well on Gear Swap.
    Back problems were one of my prerequisites. The HMG and the Exped Lightning were suggested. The Exped looks like a very nice pack as well. Interesting suspension that can be adjusted to size. A little heavier and bright colors.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

+1 Scree on the back support of the Porter 4400.

The disc between my L3-4 is actually ruptured to the posterior. To manage it I do daily exercises in which I arch backwards, forcing the back sides of the discs together, pushing the disc back into position to the forward.

This pack, and most well designed packs I expect, loads the spine below the lumbar section pushing it forward, while loading the shoulders so that they are pulled backward, creating a healthy (at least for folks like me) backward arch of the spine.

I am dialing in the pack for a 18 day off trail expedition trip in September, with an approximate weight of 45lbs. Yes, backpacking light can get heavy when the trips get long with no re-supply, and a shotgun, and other things, are necessary for safety.

It is carrying the load better than I could ever have dreamed.

Derrick

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is good to hear about excellent customer service. I want to buy from companies that will work with me on my order and take care of me if there is an issue. I have looked at the Porter on and off. Excellent customer service feedback will help me decide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's really all I wanted to say. I met them at the last Trail Days in Damascus, and they're super helpful dudes. Everything I've received from them has been top notch.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

"Hey Josh
    Which Sea to Summit bug net are you planning to use? I have the one person Nano for my Ultamid and really like it so far."

I picked up the same one after reading about it on here I will use it this weekend. Its super light. Cant wait to try the combo out.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

I just got back from the first trip with the tarp. And it worked really well. No bad weather, though it was rolling in when we left, so can't comment much on that. The tarp is really roomy and I received a couple compliments on it also. I was able to set it up quite quickly with no real hassels. Im not real sure on how to "properly" use the line locs and might have prefer tie outs. I just made loops on one end and slid the other throught the tensioners. Im not sure if this is the intended use but it worked really well for me. Ill post pictures of the set up later but I had a great time and the tarp is well worth the dough.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

FWIW, I forgot to mention that the distance between where the two sides of the hipbelt attach is the same as Granite Gear uses. The difference is that the GG packs curve down to 6" between them on the bottom where HMG keeps the distance consistent.

In theory, if Granite Gear worked for you in this regard, the HMG attachment should fit similarly.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Here are some pics of the tarp from last trip. and that is pretty much my whole kit under there I think. Clearly it fits more people. I could fit three in a picnh but fit 2 very comfortably. Set up was easy. The only thing that I wanted to change about the set up are the stakes and the guy lines. I want to switch to lawsons glow-wire for the guy lines because it is visible at night and it is lighter(I think?). Plus, I have a better idea of how I want to cut it and attach lines to the line locs. I also want to add 6 more mini stakes. Now I have 6 msr ground hogs and 12 msr ground hog minis. It is a very big tarp and there for more tie out points are necessary to make it stable in high winds and look taught/apealing…. plus those msr minis are 1 ounce per 3 so thats only 2 more ounces and they hold like crazy glue.

Tarp3
    tarp 1
    Tarp 2

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Hey Josh,

How did the Nano Bug Net workout?

Derrick

Josh Brock

@needsabath

The nano net worked out really well. The shock cord tht they put around the bottom makes it really hug the pad so you dont have to worry about bugs getting in.

I also took a random nap in the shade without the tarp and just attached it to a tree draping it over the top of me. Mosquitos were really bad at dicks when I was there…. they were blocking out the sun!!!

One thing to note: you might want to use it with a ground cover. You can see from the pics that I do not use one. but the netting that they use easily picks up debree especially evergreen debree and a ground cover would fix that…. If you're even worried about that. I just spent 5 mins picking it out.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools