Topic

SMD Lunar Solo vs. Skyscape Trekker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Lunar Solo vs. Skyscape Trekker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Which one is the preferred tent and why?

I sent an inquiry to SMD, but am still waiting for a response. Hoping you guys can sort this out quickly.

Per the website, the Trekker weighs 24 oz and the Lunar Solo 2012 weighs 23 oz. Not sure if those weights include cordage, stakes, etc. Hopefully someone here has weights on all this stuff.

Thanks!

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I am pretty sure it's on their site somewhere but SMD's weights do not include guy lines or stakes. These weights can vary widely from user to user depending on trip location and preference. In my experience, though, SMD underestimates the weight of their shelters. My Skyscape Trekker came in at 23.5 ounces after seam sealing and including stuff sack. I had a scout before that and it was almost 2 ounces lighter. Another thing to note, is the Trekker tents have adjustable guy lines sewn into the tent and only require 5 stakes to pitch. So the only additional weight there would be the 5 stakes and seam sealant.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well I prefer the LS because I like the floor dimensions better. Prefer a one pole setup to two. The door is in the wrong place for me
    to cook in the vestibule in the Trekker. I also think the LS is more attractive. The Trekker looks like it's trying to look futuristic. Silly I know, but that's my take.

New batch of LS are heavier because of change of producer and fabric used. No weights listed yet.

Which do you prefer?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

My 2012 Lunar Solo weighs 23 oz seam sealed in a cuben stuff sack. That weight includes all necessary guy lines. SMD does not include the weight of stakes in their shelters.

I use one trekking pole only so I went with the LS over the Trekker. It's working out great for my dog and I.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

"New batch of LS are heavier because of change of producer and fabric used. No weights listed yet."

That doesn't sound good. So do you mean if I were to order one today, I'd get something heavier than 23 oz? :(

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So do you mean if I were to order one today, I'd get something heavier than 23 oz? :(

Yes. Here is the skinny from SMDs facebook page.

As with the Scouts, we've enabled the pre-order of the next round of Lunar Solos.

I should note that this production run maybe slightly heavier than the previous run. We've got a new production source.

This version will have a 40D vs. 30D floor, more water resistance canopy and slightly heavier No-See-Um netting. We'll publish more up todate weight when we're able to weight a number of shelters and get an average.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!