Topic

how to cut coffee weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) how to cut coffee weight

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Cutting the weight of coffee seems a ridiculous idea.

Cutting the weight of the coffee apparatus – well, this IS BPL after all. I use a custom stainless steel mesh filter I made. Only a few grams.

Cheers

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

@ DM

For my last hike I started with a fudge brownie mix, threw in a jar of instant espresso, two cups oatmeal, a jar of honey and a little extra water. This worked very well, but a little too gooey. Next time a little less water and maybe an egg to help bind it.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Melt a bag of tootsie roll in the slow cooker, add tasters choice instant coffee and sweetened condensed milk,  and mix.

Or or just eat the instant coffee crystals by the spoonful with a swig of whiskey for an Irish breakfast on the trail.

Jeff LaVista
    BPL Member

@lavista

True coffee snobs evert your eyes. For those of you on that work-day drip coffee “grind” here’s what i’ve gotten into…

Folgers make these coffee filled tea bags, IMHO they are better than Via, and much cheaper. Each bag makes an 8oz cup, and the full 19pk has a net weight of 3oz, so they are pretty economical for weight.

http://www.folgerscoffee.com/coffees/classic-roast-singles

Add to that, coffee mate 2go;

http://cm2go.coffee-mate.com

it’s condensed and tastes better than any powdered milk or creamer. We transfer it into a go-toob and thats enough to last a weekend long trip, brewing 4 singles daily, thats 2bags per person per morning to get 16oz servings each.

Then we bring a small lidded container of cane sugar for sweetening.

About the collapsible tea seep mentioned some pages back, has anybody tried to use this as a field expedient chemex? With a filter and grinds and a slow pour-over that seems like the least hardware necesary to make real coffee.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Coffee bags – BEWARE!

Many of them contain enough coffee grounds that they SEEM like real ground coffee, but most of the ‘coffee’ in them is Instant. They call it ‘soluble coffee’ on the label in the hope you won’t wake up to what they are doing – but they still cost big bikkies. Fairly high profit items.

Cheers

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

For short trips when I can spare the little extra space these take up, I forgo the Trader Joe’s instant coffee and drink the real stuff:

Viewing 7 posts - 126 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools