Topic

I need a JMT partner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips I need a JMT partner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

does anyone know the best way to find a hiking partner for the JMT? the other person going on my july JMT trek is unable to make it and i would rather not solo hike if at all possible for safety reasons. start date is july 15, so it semi-last minute. any info would be appreciated.
    thanks!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If you don't find and official partner done't worry. My guess is there will be lots of other people on the trail and you will have plenty of chances to socialize.

When I was on the CT late in the season I spent about half the time hiking with or close to another hiker. We were not technically partners but we socialized and kept an eye on each other. On several other occasions I ended up camping with or close to other people. Since the JMT should be a lot more populated then the CT in September I don't think you'll be lonely.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Hi Adam,

me and a friend are doing part of the JMT, from Mammoth to Whitney, starting July 13 to July 21. If you're at all interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]

Erik

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I'll second the "don't worry about soloing" post. There are enough people on the trail that you can choose either solitude or companionship. I last hiked the JMT in Aug./Sept of 2008, solo, and had all the company I wanted. I am repeating the JMT this late summer and anticipate enough company for safety. You can meet some remarkable people on the trail!

James Colascio

@jcolascio

If you want a partner, try the JMT Yahoo Group. Lots of good info about the trail, resupplies, etc. But it is a highway and you will meet lots of people along the trail, especially if you are early enough to catch the NOBO PCTers.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I hiked solo last year.

Safety is not an issue and yes, you will meet plenty of people to hike with, or not, for part or all of it, as you choose.

I personally enjoy the option of solitude to enjoy the trail at my pace, but I also love to meet new people – especially when it's cocktail time!

BL, don't worry, just go and have fun.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

My son and I are starting on the 8 or 9th out of either TM or Rush Creek, if that could help or be an option for you….

Dave T

@davet

This should be posted in one of those forums. This one is just for web page/user problems, etc.

Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

<p style=”padding-left: 60px;”>H</p>

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

yea there won’t be shortage of people to hike with if you are relatively social. and enough people that safety won’t be a concern.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools