Topic

Arc Blast as a daypack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc Blast as a daypack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Greetings my fellow backpackers.

As a desert hiker I hike a lot in hot weather, hence packs with trampoline maybe a good choice. Issue is that most mainstream daypacks with trampoline weigh more than a kilo. Quite a waste of weight for daypack imho.

So, I think to order the Arc Blast for my day hikes. I know, I don't need that much volume.
    But it can also serve as a multiday pack in future.

Those of you who have this pack, how does it compresses with side straps? Is it awkward to use it for day hikes in your opinion?

I think I need something like 25-30L for my day hikes MAXIMUM. So having 52L pack is quite weird, although it is lightest pack with trampoline design and mesh.

Your comments and thoughts are much appreciated!

Happy trails!

Greg.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Carry your water in inside the water bladder sleeve and I'd think you'd be fine on volume.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hello Greg,

Those of you who have this pack, how does it compresses with side straps?

I have two Arc Blasts and they both compress very well on the sides. I can get mine compressed down to about one and one-half inches, along the mid and top of the backpack. Because of the side pockets on the bottom, compression at the very bottom of the pack is typically not possible. If you cared more about compressed than having outside side pockets, you could ditch the side pockets and have them add compression straps at the bottom.

Is it awkward to use it for day hikes in your opinion?

No. I have used mine on countless day hikes. It rides just as well as any other backpack I have.

Remember that you can pull out the flat carbon fiber stays if you do not want/need them. It only takes about 20 seconds to pull them out. Super easy to do.

+John Abela

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I noticed that the shoulder straps on Arc Blasts are quite wide and not breathable.
    Is it an issue? I know I will sweat where shoulder straps go no matter what, but having non-breathable cuben fiber WIDE straps there may be really bad.

Anyone from HOT climate?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I haven't used the Blast but I have used the Exo and Zero, which I'm pretty sure have the same straps. I've used them in hot conditions (up to 38 degrees C) and haven't really noticed a problem. Sure you sweat – I do without a pack at that temperature – and I noticed sweat stains around the stitching of the daisy chain on the front, but I don't think there was any significant difference from packs I've used with mesh on the shoulder straps.
    Personally, I think if you're wearing a top that wicks well, it has a much greater affect than shoulder strap mesh. If, however, you hike topless, you MAY find the Blasts unbreathable straps to be less comfortable on bare skin. I'm speculating, I haven't tried it. I do, though, exercise on the steps at home with a pack with mesh on the straps and they get really wet with sweat when used on bare skin.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The hottest I've hiked with a Zero was 44C and I didn't notice any problems with the straps — of course this was the least of my problems :)

Sweat from straps has never really bothered me in any temperature or with any pack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools