Topic

Sleeping in the Sierra’s in early June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sleeping in the Sierra’s in early June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Adams
    BPL Member

@stevemkedcom

Locale: Northwest

I am Hiking the PCT this year and have actually already started. With an early start and record low snow in the Sierra's I think I will be getting to Kennedy meadows by late May. I am a little worried about my sleeping system being adequate. This is what I have and can wear at night:

1. WM caribou (35 deg)
    2. Ibex Merino Hoody
    3. Montbell U.L. Down jacket
    4. North face summit series wind jacket
    5. Icebreaker Merino bottoms
    6. Montbell wind pants
    7. Thermarest NeoAir xlite

I know this is good down to 30 and possible 25 degrees.
    I do prefer to sleep with out my tent at night if possible.

Do you think it will get below 25 at night in early June?
    If so does a tent (Gossamer Gear The One) help for a few degrees more?
    Can I use my tent like Bivey sack in the middle of the night if I wake up cold or will that make things worst with condensation?

I do have a Marmot zero degree bag I can swap at Kennedy Meadows at twice the weight of the Caribou.
    Another Idea I had was Ditch the Tent and Caribou bag at Kennedy Meadows and take the zero degree bag and Use my MLD Cuben Poncho/Tarp for a shelter if I need one.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've taken my Caribou with a silk liner to 28-30F a few times and was fine. In fact just two years ago at Vidette Meadow it was 30 or so, I had no issues and I was 57 at the time. I go with the theory that cold air sinks. Looks like you have plenty of clothes to add in the wee hours of the morning to stay warm. Once I get a movin in the morning, I'm fine. I've also found that sleeping out in the open is cooler, you at least need something to cut the wind. Up north here, not much snow left, the road is open into Bucks Lake on the Plumas NF and that can be a struggle sometimes to be open by Mother's Day or opening of fishing season, end of April.
    I live up north a few miles from the Bucks Lake Wilderness, so it has been nice the last few years as I collect stoves and I'm getting out a whole lot more.
    Duane

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Which mattress will you be using? If you are that concerned about sleeping cold, think about swapping out to a warmer pad at KM. You can also add a couple of degrees by draping another ground (or space blanket if you like) cloth over your bag, up to your chin, and not worry about the condensation you get when in a bivy.

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Don't have much to add, not having your gear and and have only been in the Sierra's in late summer and fall but I think if you are concerened about being cold set up your tent. You should not use your tent wrapped around you as a bivy . I don't even like 'breathable' waterproof bivies and avoid using them if I can. Happy trails

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I was out this weekend close to home, a 95 minute hike from home. Where I camped, it was down to 24F Sunday AM, after breakfast, packed up ready to go it had warmed up to 26F. :) I was cool around 3AM maybe, so all I did was drape my Golite Coal jacket over my torso and I was fine, using my WM Caribou 35F bag. Wool socks on and shorts was all. One foot started getting cold.
    Duane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools