Topic

MYOG Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I used a SMD Wild Oasis in 2010 on the PCT and while it worked well I came away wishing willing to trade a little more weight for three things: More ventilation when using it for bugs, more head room laying down and a bit more space when using it in the rain. This is what I came up with, still floorless and using two poles. It will be a while before I can try it on a trip but the space and ventilation are what I was shooting for.Open, front view.Headroom.Open, end view.Bug mode, front.Bug mode, end.Rain mode, front.Rain mode, end.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Very nice, George! Good job!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, nice!

Innovative and creative ideas on bpl.

Now, if you would just put a blank line between each picture in your source I could see it better : )

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Looks great George.

If you don't mind the obligatory question?

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I still need to seam seal it and trim the netting and zipper even, then get it to a good scale. A first weighing at the supermarket on a produce scale showed maybe 1lb 4oz with stuff sack and stakes. I hope to have a better answer after the weekend.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I know this is over one year old. Any updates from the field?

I'm about to start sketching up some designs for a solo shelter with the same idea you have here. I really like the offset trekking pole setup to offer more headroom and ventilation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools