Topic

Patagonia Military Windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Military Windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've heard of Patagonia and Arc'Teryx making military clothing, but I've never seen one like this. It is a digital camouflage Generation III Level 4 windshirt and the classic Patagonia label was a surprise.

It is made of a stretchy nylon and has fat pockets on the upper arms and 10" long zippers on the pockets. The pockets have mesh linings and I assume they are designed as vents. There is a typical elastic drawstring in the hem and the cuffs are half elastic. It is very breathable and has good DWR.

It's no Houdini as it tips my scale at 14.6 ounces! It is far tougher of course.

Generation III Level 4 windshirt
    Generation III Level 4 windshirt

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

If you have access to it, does it have a tag inside with a number called a NSN? Patagonia also used the camo pattern for fishing clothes uppers (that pattern isn't really a good camo for anything else, unless fighting the North Koreans in a Kmart parking lot).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That's cool.
    I wonder how tough it is? Is it more like a softshell or more like a windshirt?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"If you have access to it, does it have a tag inside with a number called a NSN?"

No, it doesn't have the typical green military tag with all the contract numbers, etc. There is a white tag on top of the Patagonia tag that reads "GEN III Windshirt". With all the velcro badge patches and the large/long size label I doubt it is a fishing shirt.

The fabric is nylon, stretches in two directions, not quite soft shell knit weave. The Patagonia style number is 19027F5, which is a dead end on my searches.

The paintball kids would do back flips for that camo pattern :)

I did find a retail web page at http://www.bradleyssurplus.com/ecwcs-gen-iii-level-iv-wind-shirt.html Note the "EXPERIMENTAL" designation.

Patagonia EXPERIMENTAL Gen III Gear

Features:

* Constructed with MILLIKEN® nylon spandex material with a water resistant finish
    * Optimizes moisture wicking properties of other GEN III layers
    * Designed for wear under body armor and with the ACU
    * Increased wind and sand protection
    * Extreme low weight and bulk
    * Angled chest pockets with mesh lining for ventilation <— wrong
    * Velcro closure sleeve pockets
    * Elasticized cuffs
    * Velcro fasteners for rank and name plates
    * Color: Universal Camo

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

It looks very similar to the Slingshot Jacket. I bought a Coyote color one on a web special and wore it for a short time. Mine had velcro on the sleeve pockets. I believe that these may have been part of the MARS or ECWS systems.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

But the new (and very effective) camo pattern the U.S. Army is going to is called Multi Cam.

The Army's old digital pattern was proven almost worthless. Why? B/C they didn't test it in the field under combat conditions as they did with Multi Cam.

OK BoP, MultiCam has been around, for about 4 years. But it is the Army's latest camo pattern.

V
    V
    V
    V
    V

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"But the new (and very effective) camo pattern the U.S. Army is going to is called Multi Cam. "

Multicam isn't new, it's been around for quite a while.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

This was based on current/older models of the same jacket by a different manufacturer which you can probably find for sale out there. I used to have one when I was in the service. It is like a thin soft shell / non-laminate windbreaker. Little utility in my mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!