Topic

Question regarding bivies with bug netting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question regarding bivies with bug netting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I have a new bivy I just received a few weeks ago in my effort to get more UL, I ordered it with full no-see-um on the top, has loops to tie to the top inside of a shelter. I was thinking today that I might have issues with the line that holds the netting off of the bivy in that it might pull on the top of the shelter if the user shifts with the bivy too much. Any problems that I just thought of? Leave a little slack in the cord? The next option would be to sell the nettingless/beakless Hexamid, get one with netting and continue sleeping in my sb on a gc, save the bivy for nice weather weekend bp trips where a tarp/shelter is not needed. I'll be using polycryo as my gc.
    Duane

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've used use a length of shock cord with a cord lock to adjust tension and attach it to the shelter with a mitten hook.

Similar to this image of a Warbonnet Blackbird tieout the metal ring in the picture is where your bivy tieout would be.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Shock cord will do the trick.

The enclosed shelter removes the issue entirely though. Depends on whether you prefer bivy/tarp to enclosed shelter.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Ah yes, I was thinking of elastic or shock cord, that would solve any issue. This is my next step after having a floorless, TT Squall the last 8 years or so. That still allowed ants at me, the bivy should solve that. We'll see how this next step works for me out west here in the Sierra. Looking forward to half the shelter weight, I still don't know how I'll handle less bug free space to read, rest.
    Duane

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Only one way to find out if its for you. I didnt like mine. These days you can get full bug and rain protection with "bug free living space" for practically the same weight as a tarp/ bivy combo.

I have a Bear Paw Lair, with netting and floor sewn on ($220 cost). It weighs 18.3 ounces with guylines, and is easy to set up because its all one unit.

The only minor downside is that its one unit.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I was trying to go as light as possible, moving from around 24-25oz, down to 12oz with my bivy and bone stock Hexamid. I may have to go back up, but not that many trips involve a ton of bugs. The bugs can vary from one lake to another in the Sierra. I try to plan vacations late July or early August, weekend trips I can get by with less as an experiment if needed. That's a good reason why so much gear comes up for sale here. This should bring my base weight to under 8lbs. without a bear can or filter, but still with fishing pole and reel.
    Duane

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

If you dont like the bivy you could get the full bug enclosure sewn on from Joe too.

9.3 ounces total, which might lighter than your bivy + tarp.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

My bivy weights 4.3oz, so I'd be adding a little weight back if I get netting added to the Hexamid and leave the bivy at home, but if that works, that's how it goes. I'm still in snow camping mode, so I'll have to set the Hexamid up in my yard and affix lines this weekend if I get time from playing with stoves.
    Duane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools